Shut-off after 60 seconds Bitlocker

Anonymous
2013-10-24T14:21:58+00:00

Hi,

When I leave the Bitlocker log-in screen inactive for 60 seconds the computer just shuts off. Is this a feature, a bug, or some hardware issue? I already reinstalled Windows.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-10-17T18:51:10+00:00

    The BIOS update should have took if it was from Windows Update since it should automatically suspend bitlocker. You can check if it was installed using the command prompt command systeminfo.

    This may help explain why it is restarting

    http://www.vindamedia.com/windows/help/bitlocker-log-in-turns-off-after-60-seconds

    It was kind of long, I figured it would be better as a web page. The page was just created and is currently a rough draft so if you see any errors let me know. I didn't want you to have to wait for a final review of the new page.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-10-17T16:29:32+00:00

    There is nothing about this event in the Event Viewer, let alone anything that happened before it since the system was turned on.

    The suspension of Bitlocker before you do a BIOS update is merely to prevent Bitlocker from going into recovery mode.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-10-17T13:55:35+00:00

    If you used windows update to update it then WU will take the appropriate action to suspend bitlocker during updtes that require auto restarts

    Are you still having an issue? What does it say in event viewer after the shut downs.

    Look for the event viewer section for help using it

    www.vindamedia.com/windows/help

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-10-17T10:41:57+00:00

    I was experiencing the same issue with my Dell XPS 8700.  I finally downloaded the BIOS update from Dell's website (although it was the same version I already had installed). 

    A08 BIOS Update

    The key was that I noticed the warning to suspend Bitlocker prior to installing the update! So, I downloaded the BIOS update, suspended Bitlocker (which resumes upon reboot), and installed the update.  I haven't had any problems since.  Good luck!

    Thanks Jared, interesting. I updated the BIOS only a couple of weeks ago hoping it would resolve the issue, but I have to say, I saw no warning about suspending Bitlocker first. Maybe it was because it was one of a number of simultaneous updates (or I was asleep at the wheel !).

    When I get back to the PC I will download it again and suspend Bitlocker before installing.

    I'll let you know how it goes in about 10 days.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-10-16T17:16:07+00:00

    I was experiencing the same issue with my Dell XPS 8700.  I finally downloaded the BIOS update from Dell's website (although it was the same version I already had installed). 

    A08 BIOS Update

    The key was that I noticed the warning to suspend Bitlocker prior to installing the update! So, I downloaded the BIOS update, suspended Bitlocker (which resumes upon reboot), and installed the update.  I haven't had any problems since.  Good luck!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments