Shut-off after 60 seconds Bitlocker

Anonymous
2013-10-24T14:21:58+00:00

Hi,

When I leave the Bitlocker log-in screen inactive for 60 seconds the computer just shuts off. Is this a feature, a bug, or some hardware issue? I already reinstalled Windows.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-03-04T21:00:51+00:00

    Did you try these http://www.vindamedia.com/windows/help/bitlocker-log-in-turns-off-after-60-seconds

    Is it a static timeout. Like always 30 seconds, 60 seconds or whatever. If it is variable and the shutdown occurs at random times it may be another issue such as a driver that isn't loading correctly.

    Try running the help page for general errors on that site which has the dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth command to check and repair the system files and other items like their manifests.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-03-04T12:14:14+00:00

    I also constantly run into this issue on Windows 8.1 64bit running on an ASUS Z97-K:

    The computer shuts down 75% of the time, either while entering the Bitlocker passwort or soon afterwards but before I get to the log-in prompt.

    These are two cases in which this happens that appear distinct:

      a) If I do not touch the keyboard, the computer always shut down exactly 60sec after the Bitlocker password prompt appears.

      b) If I touch the keyboard (type in my password, or even just hold the shift key), the computer shuts after a variable length of time. While trying this a few times just long and starting to hold the right shift key as soon as the password prompts appears, I encountered times between 3 and 15sec before the shutdown. 

    If I do make it to the Windows log-in prompt, the computer then runs stable (have run it for many hours, inclusion games, and have ample power and thermal reserves remaining).

    I tried the suggestions from this thread but they have not fixed the issue:

    1.) I just updated my Z97-K BIOS to the latest version 2502 from Feb 2015 (previously version was 0330); I had Bitlocker suspended during the update so it didn't prompt me for the password during the next startup and it started successfully, but then then next four starts failed (shutdown while entering password).

    2.) Just in case, I also installed the latest Intel chipset driver from the ASUS website.

    3.) Since I have a lot of RAM (32 GBytes), I checked whether Windows has already virtual memory allocated; it had, namely about 4 GBytes.

    4.) The EventViewer under Administrative Events has one pre-shutdown Warning event that might be revelant:

    [04/03/2015 22:58:19] Warning: The driver \Driver\WUDFRd failed to load for the device ACPI\PNP0A0A\2&daba3ff&2.

    The next two Administrative Events are from the next boot:

    [04/03/2015 23:33:39] Error: The previous system shutdown at 22:58:21 on ‎04/‎03/‎2015 was unexpected.

    [04/03/2015 23:33:36] Critical: The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

    After further digging, the warning above relates to the ACPI Probe II sense driver (AMDA00) on ASUS boards. According to Device Managers / System Devices / AMDA00, this device was (currently) running successfully at driver version 1.0.0.0. I then installed ASUS Probe II Sense Driver 1.0.1.0 from the ASUS website (not part of the Intel Chipset Drivers).

    Two of the next three boots were successful (might be chance). In the third case, the computer shut down again while I entered my password, but the EventViewer this time didn't list any of the above pre- or post-failure messages.

    Does anyone have any additional ideas?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-10-26T14:55:41+00:00

    Jared,

    Thanks for the tip about suspending Bitlocker and THEN updating Dell XPS8700 BIOS.

    Just done it & it appears to have worked.

    Thanks again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-10-17T18:51:10+00:00

    The BIOS update should have took if it was from Windows Update since it should automatically suspend bitlocker. You can check if it was installed using the command prompt command systeminfo.

    This may help explain why it is restarting

    http://www.vindamedia.com/windows/help/bitlocker-log-in-turns-off-after-60-seconds

    It was kind of long, I figured it would be better as a web page. The page was just created and is currently a rough draft so if you see any errors let me know. I didn't want you to have to wait for a final review of the new page.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-10-17T16:29:32+00:00

    There is nothing about this event in the Event Viewer, let alone anything that happened before it since the system was turned on.

    The suspension of Bitlocker before you do a BIOS update is merely to prevent Bitlocker from going into recovery mode.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments