windows 8.1 won't go into sleep mode,

Anonymous
2013-10-28T15:21:29+00:00

Upgraded to windows 8.1 on my HP, since then it fails to go into sleep mode. I have had it set up for 20 mins, and never had this problem before. I have tried to change it to 25 mins. no change. Also stopped live update on windows 8 screen still no difference>

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-11-13T22:02:56+00:00

    Curious, after leaving Homegroup did you set sharing permissions for specific folders from the properties menu so that you could still access files from PC to PC?  Or did you completely sever the network communication between the two PC's?  You mentioned that the insomniac PC did sleep but I just wondering if it took you severing the connection between the two PCs before it would.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-11-14T02:30:18+00:00

    When I set up the new HomeGroup today (have set up 6 over the last few weeks) I initially set it with all 4 computers 2 Win 7 and 2 Win 8.1. The Win 7 computers slept the Win 8.1 didn't.

    They were are set up to share pictures, music, video and a printer on one the Win 7 computers.  So while all connected disabled shares on each computer through HomeGroup. Then using the Modern UI settings left the HomeGroup and turned off Find Devices and Content. So yes the settings completely severed the connection. Computers slept.

    Then set up a yet another HomeGroup with only the 2 Win 8.1 computers. Again the sleeping problem. So again left HomeGroup through the Modern UI settings. Computers slept.

    Using the Modern UI settings was simpler than going through Desktop HomeGroup, Advanced sharing and services.

    What I found interesting, hadn't given it much thought before.

    In the HomeGroup with only the Win 8.1 computers which share my password etc. I changed the HomeGroup settings on both computers for NO sharing. Even though supposedly not sharing both computers in File Explorer HomeGroup continued to show desktop, download, documents, pictures, music and video folders for both computers.  So the HomeGroup settings weren't needed to share between the Win 8.1.

    Leaving file explorer open you could see each computer refresh all folders approximately once every minute. Which would lead me to believe that unless HomeGroup is completely disabled then the two computers are in constant communication.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-11-14T14:15:11+00:00

    hi,

    Your last part sounds totally plausible. One thing I noticed after 8.1 is that my hd light seemed to be more active. Usually I have never paid much attention too it, but for some reason it was flashing more.

    Though I only have the one computer it would tell me that there is communications going on either between computers, or synchronizing folders.  I haven't tried going through the UI settings, with one computer just as easy to delete the homegroup.

    MS PLEASE Help

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-11-14T14:17:24+00:00

    Certainly seems it isn't a quick fix, biggest problem is, do they know about it. Supposedly they read the newsgroups?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-11-14T14:19:27+00:00

    I only have the one computer on right now, so I have not had too. I completely severed the home group. I had tried not sharing folders. Seems to me it is in the synchronization still trying to communicate though nothing is going on.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments