The restore did not complete successfully (Windows 7)

Anonymous
2014-03-11T18:41:14+00:00

I have a Windows 7 backup stored on a network drive. When I try to restore anything this is the error I get. Obviously the network path is fine or I wouldn't be able to open the backup and select files to restore.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

41 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-03-17T11:40:56+00:00

    Ratandeep -

    No, the laptop is not a member of a domain. There is also no firewall running on the laptop, and I *can* connect to the laptop from the server via UNC path to see shared folders. Given this, why would the backup software give this error when trying to perform a restore?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-03-17T11:17:41+00:00

    Hello Jimmy,

    Thank you for your response.

    In accordance to your post, I seems that your laptop is connected to a domain network which is governed by various group policies. I would recommend posting this query on TechNet forum for better expertise.

    TechNet forum

    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?category=w7itpro

    I hope this information helps.

    Thank you

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-03-16T13:24:19+00:00

    Ratandeep -

    Thanks but there are no duplicate profiles, not on the server where the backup resides and not on the laptop that I'm using to run the restore.

    However I do have an update. When I run the restore from another laptop it succeeds. So the problem is not on the server, it's on the laptop. Knowing that, what could cause this error?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-03-16T12:56:11+00:00

    Hello Jimmy,

    Thank you for keeping us updated on the status of the issue.

    I would suggest you to try following steps and check if it helps.

    a. Click the Start button, type “regedit” (without quotation marks) in the Search box and press Enter.

    b. Navigate to the following registry key by expanding the "+" beside the registry tree in the left pane:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows NT/CurrentVersion/ProfileList

    c. Delete the duplicate profile list keys.

    d. Exit the registry editor and reboot the computer.

    You may then try to restore files and check the issue.

    Note: Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/back-up-registry

    I hope this information helps.

    Thank you

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-03-12T12:12:12+00:00

    Ramesh -

    Scanning my systems files has absolutely nothing to do with this problem, and suggesting that I perform a full system restore is absurd.

    As an MCSE I can also assure you that booting to safe mode and/or disabling AV software is not going to help. The error clearly states that the backup application on Windows 7 is having a problem with a network path, although that's not likely.

    How can I get official support for this issue? As its stands Microsoft has given me a backup solution that doesn't allow me to restore my files and that's pretty unacceptable.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments