The restore did not complete successfully (Windows 7)

Anonymous
2014-03-11T18:41:14+00:00

I have a Windows 7 backup stored on a network drive. When I try to restore anything this is the error I get. Obviously the network path is fine or I wouldn't be able to open the backup and select files to restore.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

41 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-04-01T13:07:13+00:00

    I am able to do a local restore using the laptop in question. The problem arises when I try to browse to a different backup stored on the network.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-04-01T12:55:16+00:00

    Hello Jimmy,

    Thank you for the update.

    It is very unfortunate that all suggestions provided in the previous posts did not resolve the issue.

    I would suggest you to create a restore point and try to do system restore next day to check whether there is any issues with services associated with restore as services are common.

    Refer:

    Create a restore point

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows7/Create-a-restore-point

    Also, refer:

    System restore

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows7/products/features/system-restore

    Note: When you use System Restore to restore the computer to a previous state, programs and updates that you installed are removed.

    Thank you

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-03-30T20:48:17+00:00

    No drive errors and I am the drive owner with full ntfs permissions.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-03-30T12:15:24+00:00

    Hello Jimmy,

    Thank you for the prompt reply.

    I would suggest you to try following methods and check if it helps.

    Method 1:

    Check a drive for errors.

    You can solve some computer problems by checking a drive or drives for errors. Please use this article.

    Refer:

    Check a drive for errors

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Check-a-drive-for-errors

    Important: While performing chkdsk on the hard drive if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive when chkdsk tries to repair that sector if any data available on that might be lost.

    Method 2:

    Make sure you have full permission for the drive.

    a. Open Computer by clicking the Start, and then clicking Computer.

    b. Right-click the drive that you want to set, and then click Properties.

    c. Click the Security tab, and then, under For special permissions or advanced settings, click Advanced.

    d. Click the Permissions tab, and then click Change Permissions.

    e. Check if your account has full permissions for the drive. If not, according to your requirements, please select one of the following

    Step 1: To set special permissions for an additional group or user, click Add, and then in Name box, type the name of the user or group, and then click OK.

    Step 2: To view or change special permissions for an existing group or user, click the name of the group or user, and then click Edit.

    f. Click OK four times.

    Additional Information:

    Recovering your files in Windows 7

    http://blogs.technet.com/b/filecab/archive/2009/11/12/recovering-your-files-in-windows-7.aspx

    I hope this information will be helpful.

    Thank you

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-03-29T13:47:14+00:00

    Ratandeep -

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa: LmCompatibilityLevel

    "LmCompatibilityLevel" did not exist at that path. I created it and tested with 0 and 2 and that did not fix the problem. I rebooted each time.

    Interestingly, LmCompatibilityLevel also does not exist on the test laptop where the restore is successful.

    Any next steps to try? Something is different between this laptop and the one that works.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments