The restore did not complete successfully (Windows 7)

Anonymous
2014-03-11T18:41:14+00:00

I have a Windows 7 backup stored on a network drive. When I try to restore anything this is the error I get. Obviously the network path is fine or I wouldn't be able to open the backup and select files to restore.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

41 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-12-02T23:21:20+00:00

    No. I think you are mixing apples and oranges. I think "in place upgrade" is one thing while "repair install" is quite another. . Your link is not for an In Place Upgrade(which appears rather simple) but a Repair Install which appears very complicated and comes with a litany of dire WARNINGS! 

    Can someone please check these links and tell is if these are two very different operations.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-12-02T12:38:32+00:00

    Ratandeep

    I hope that you do not mind now the poster has said the thread should be closed. I am having a problem with errors in the CBS log and there is reference to 'duplicate files' and I was wondering if your suggestion about deleting duplicate files in the Profile List might cure the problem? (Or are there no duplicate profiles?)Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-12-02T12:29:29+00:00

    MS - You can just close this question. Nobody has ever given an answer that shows an understanding of the problem so this will just be one of those Windows problems that never gets fixed.

    Thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-12-02T12:17:53+00:00

    Hi here's how to do an inplace upgrade repair install:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RC_5eb9wTfk

    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html 

    PS: there are a few more details you will need if  you are going to go ahead.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-12-02T10:08:57+00:00

    Thank you. For clarity the error message is:

    System Restore did not complete successfully.  Your computer's system files and settings were not changed.

    Details: System Restore failed to extract the original copy of the directory from the restore point.

    Source: %System Root%\registration.

    Destination: ComPlusStaging?”

    No restore point works. Every time I make in inquiry somebody comes along with a new fix. So far, after many days not one has worked. Now  In-Place Upgrade?  Never heard of it and no forum suggests it as a fix for thisissue that is so voluminously addressed. Is this the same thing as Repair Install Optionwhich has  pages of dire warnings no average user would dare attempt?

    After days of inquiry and the thousands of hits on this error message only you have mentioned In-Place Upgrade and only one other has mentioned the very risky "Repair Install Option." 

    Moreover your link states "An in-place upgrade ... takes the same amount of time to do the upgrade as to reinstall the operating system. Also, some of your customized Windows settings may be lost through this process." So what's the point?  Since this does not look too complicated I will run it past my tech support but they seem to have tried everything.  

    In any event I simply do not believe the last successful restore is not recorded. That is totally counter-intuitive. Window records all events. Three technicians at Costso have told me this is an event that is surely in the Event Log but they don't know what to look for.  It is hard to believe Windows did not leave a foot print for such an important event.  If we can find out where that code for the restore event is in the event log then I know the date I can probably rely on for a to do a restore from a Windows Image back up.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments