The restore did not complete successfully (Windows 7)

Anonymous
2014-03-11T18:41:14+00:00

I have a Windows 7 backup stored on a network drive. When I try to restore anything this is the error I get. Obviously the network path is fine or I wouldn't be able to open the backup and select files to restore.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

41 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-12-03T18:39:00+00:00

    Sorry but  7 pages of itty-bitty print out?  Who writes this stuff? Don't they realize we can not read it in process but need a READABLE hard copy to print? If I enlarge to scale I get lots of superimposed ads. Very poor page design.  AND the irrelevant imbedded videos there are VERY intrusive.  Absolutely maddening.  Print it out? Great. Seven pages of comments and 3 pages of instructions! WHO designs this stuff?!

    Moreover now I have a THIRD set of instructions quite different than all others.  “we recommend uninstalling any third-party security software such as firewalls or antivirus applications.”  Uninstall McAfee and reinstall it?  I'd rather be water-boarded!  It was a nightmare to begin with.

    “ You should also download and store all of the drivers that your system needs to function--especially the network controller (what's that?) , which tells your network adapter (what's that?)  how to access the Internet.  “

    Don't have a clue how to do that or where they are.  WHO writes this stuff?!

    “After backing up all of your drivers, clean out all of the temporary files and junk data that have accumulated in Windows 7 over the course of prolonged use.....”

    No other instructions mention this?

    “After running the Disk Cleanup utility, you should clean out a few folders manually. ..” More complicated instructions and no other instructions mention this either!

    “To begin the repair installation process, insert the installation media (What's that?) and run Setup (if it doesn't launch automatically). In the Setup window,”

    If I insert the Windows repair/boot disc I and never get to any set up window.  It just boots.  We supposed to do an F2, and F8, a F11? Who knows.

    “ If your Internet connection is working, you should probably choose to download the updates, but you can choose whichever option suits your fancy.”

    Whatever suits my fancy?!  And go on the internet and download files after I am told to uninstall my security software?  No way!

    Sorry but like ALL other instructions we can't even get to the install screen!

    And on and on and one it goes for page after page.  WHO writes this stuff?!  WHERE do they find these people.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-12-03T08:50:28+00:00

    Here is another explanation of an 'inplace upgrade repair' from PC World:  http://www.pcworld.com/article/243190/how_to_repair_a_corrupt_windows_7_installation.html

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-12-03T08:41:03+00:00

    John

    I am not mixing apples and oranges. Both those links are referring to the same procedure.  The difference is that the Windows 7 forum link prepares the computer for the 'inplace upgrade repair' (to give the procedure its full name) in more detail to prevent things from going wrong.  There are no guarantees so if you are going to do it make sure you back up and have a full system image. 

    Regards

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-12-03T00:03:53+00:00

    "To the answer of your question there is no such location/place where information saved on the computer when you restore the system to prior date."

    I believe you are wrong. See try looking for service as the source in the Event Log; see http://bertk.mvps.org/html/source.html , for example!!

    That from Heinz Tschabitscher at about.com. But I don't know how he got there.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-12-02T23:50:00+00:00

    A few more details?  Such as? The Devil is always in the details

    But I fear people are not making distinctions with a difference and mixing apples with oranges?   One person advises on Repair Install Option to Fix Windows 7 while another suggests I  Perform an In-Place Upgrade on Windows.  Still another creates a hybrid term Repair Install Upgrade.

    Windows 7: Repair InstallLooks VERY complicated and comes with a litany of dire warnings and many troublesome questions.

    ConverselyIn-Place Upgrade on Windowsthat you refer to  Appears rather simple and comes with no such dire warnings.

    Question: Are these the same process.  If not then what is the difference?  And waht are the few more details you refer to.  The Devil is always in the details.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments