The restore did not complete successfully (Windows 7)

Anonymous
2014-03-11T18:41:14+00:00

I have a Windows 7 backup stored on a network drive. When I try to restore anything this is the error I get. Obviously the network path is fine or I wouldn't be able to open the backup and select files to restore.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

41 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-12-03T23:30:25+00:00

    ALL instructions for in place upgrade repair insist I must use  the disc that came with this computer and  BUT NOT one created from a store bought computer.  Again you have obviously not read the links I sent you re: this process that are very inconsistent -- even tough you claim otherwise. They totally contradict you here. http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

    re: Acronis***. What is your authority for your statements?***  They are just hearsay. Show me your authority.

    I realize  Acronis will not fix these system files but it will obviate the need to do so. I have just spoken with Aronis and they claim I will always be able to preserve or go back to (restore) to my present hard drive state. The only issue with my present state is that I can not complete a Windows restore point but if I am not using Windows restore then why should  I care since I will not be relying on Windows for that?  Acronis will do what Window can't.  As such there is no point being wed to Windows restore, I don't need to fix it  since I can rely on Acronis to preserve my present computer state. I only tried a restore point to get back before malware got in and that is how I discovered the problem with restore -- I have no idea how long it's existed.   That malware has  been scrubbed.  I see no other problems. The only problem is failure of Windows to restore. So dump Windows restore. Ergo the only reason I'd want to go back is to return to a date before system restore points failed.  But with Acronis there is no need for that because I will be using IT to keep stable as of now.  Acronis will preserve the bad Windows system files but since I will not longer need them I CAN rely on Acronis to always maintain my present state --- which is fine EXCEPT for the Windows restore feature I will not need anyway.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-12-03T22:32:13+00:00

    John

    Acronis cannot restore your computer in your present situation.  For Acronis to work you need to use it whist windows in a good state, or should I say that  the way that Acronis works it that it takes an image of whatever you choses, usually a system image. You then can restore that image at a later date. Acronis is a good program but as you say you have to pay for it. Maybe you may be better trying Macrium Reflect free edition: http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

    I think one of the reasons you were having with 'inplace upgrade repair' is that you may have been using the wrong CD. It seems what you have said, is that your windows was preinstalled (OEM).  You cannot use any CD supplied if Windows was pre-installed.  If you can borrow a Windows CD of the same description as to the windows you have, you could use that. If the CD does not have SP1 and the windows on you computer does have SP1 then you will need to uninstall the SP1 on your computer before doing the 'repair'.  Is there nobody that can help you.  If you cannot get the correct CD you can download and burn it onto a CD and use that.

    http://www.askvg.com/direct-download-links-download-official-original-and-untouched-windows-7-iso-32-bit-and-64-bit/

    http://www.askvg.com/direct-download-links-download-official-original-and-untouched-windows-7-iso-32-bit-and-64-bit/ 

    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/windows-usb-dvd-download-tool 

    Please don't blame me if you cannot get it to work.  Watch that video a few times.

    Best of luck

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-12-03T22:06:53+00:00

    If you think the instructions are complete and consistent then you obviously have not read them or the differences  I spell out for you.  

    I think I'll just buy and install Acronis 2015, and to heck with Windows backup restore, not bother with it any more, and just rely on Acronis.  I am told that, even though Windows 7 system files will not complete a restore to a restore point, Acronis will totally obviate the need for Windows back-up restore.  Ergo I can live without it.  All this is too high a price to pay.  After all Acronis is only $50 and the cost and lost time with all this far exceeds that.

    If Windows & system files will not complete a restore to a restore point then live without Windows backup restore and go to a better program.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-12-03T19:50:19+00:00

    I am sorry that you are unable to understand the instructions. All the instructions that I have posted are consistent with each other.  I suggest you leave well alone.

    Kind regards.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-12-03T19:16:08+00:00

    "Both those links are referring to the same procedure."  Okay then why are the so very different? Did you even read them? Which one should I trust when not even one gets me to square one: the install screen.

    See thisfor instance: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

    “You can only do a repair install with the same edition Windows 7 installation disc for the same edition of Windows 7 that you have installed.”

    Compare the next section in the same post:

    “You cannot use a OEM Windows 7 "Factory" Restore/Recovery type of installation disc that came with or created from a store bought computer to do a repair install with. These can only be used do a clean install instead.”

     No other set of instruction mentions this. WHO writes this stuff?    No discs came with my Gateway.  The only discs I have are those I was told to create the first time I booted it up. So what the heck CAN we use?

    “You can do a repair install on a factory OEM installation with the latest official Windows 7 with SP1 ISO file here:”

    Yet anotherset of instructions (See this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RC\_5eb9wTfk ) insists we must first uninstall SP 1.

    So far I have four sets of instructions for the same process called by different names, not one agrees with the other, and I can not get to the Install screen using ANY set of instructions so they are obviously incomplete.

    People at these forums should not pretend to know what they don't.  Unless you have actually done it (vetted instructions for accuracy) you should not just throw one set of instructions after a different set of contradictory and confusing instructions.  We can be here till doomsday with maybe this or perhaps that and it is not helpful.  I do not want a litany of guesses.  I want vetted knowledge.  

    Please. I only want to hear from people who KNOW and who have DONE what they advise.  I want experienced, proven, tested knowledge and not one poorly written and utterly contradictory set of instructions  after another.  Not even one of these (four so far) sets of instructions, if followed as written,  even gets us to square one!  The install screen.  Nice!

    The written communication skills of every one of these writers is rather abysmal.  Not one is totally consistent with the other.  No doubt the reason is that they just fake it, pretend to know what they don't, and just copy and paste untested theories to lead others down a garden path.  This is not only not helpful it is irresponsible.  Tested, proven, knowledge and vetted instruction  only please.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments