Chrome and Firefox browsers not compatible with Windows 8.1 update

Anonymous
2013-10-18T17:15:32+00:00

I have just installed the new windows 8.1 update today (18th October) and found that both chrome and firefox do not work. (I had the latest versions installed which worked fine with windows 8.) I've even tried installing chrome 4.1 beta and the "unstable" chrome 5... I've made sure that they (chrome and firefox) are 'allowed' through the firewall, but still can't get them to work. Both web browsers open and look like they're working, but when I try to open a website chrome says it can't connect to the internet and firefox just remains on the start page. I know my internet works fine as internet explorer works and so does the app store. Any help on this would be appreciated! Thank you

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Apps

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-10-18T17:52:13+00:00

There's a solution by ianself on mozilla's support forum and it worked for me! It fixed both my chrome and firefox browsers.

  1. Type "cmd.exe" into Search and then right-click on Command Prompt****to select 'Run as administrator'
  2. Type "netsh winsock reset" into Command Prompt, and then press Enter
  3. Restart PC

 source: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/974612#answer-491242

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-12-12T03:01:56+00:00

    Thanks for posting this. Browsers are now working properly :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-12-13T13:28:02+00:00

    Based on your response, you are much more sophisticated in your technological understanding of computers. I hope you have gotten your 8.1 straightened out at this time. Mine continues to work satisfactorily at this point in time. My only real issue is the manipulation of my Bookmarks.

    Sorry for taking so long responding. I did not get the initial response for one reason or another. I trust all is well down under.

    Regards,

    Rick Stephenson

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-12-27T19:57:08+00:00

    I THOUGHT IT WAS JUST ME BOUGHT A WINDOW 8 OCT 2014 AND HAVING THE SAME ISSUE..THERE HAS TO BE A BETTER WAY.. SO WHAT OTHER BROWSERS CAN WE USE.. MY ZYNGA GAME CALLS FOR GOOGLE OR FIREFOX..AND I'M JUST STALLING AND CRASHING..WE SPEND ALL THIS MONEY ON COMPUTER AND THEY STILL DON'T WORK LIKE WE WANT..WHAT CAN WE DO  ANY HELP

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-12-27T23:39:20+00:00

    SORRY TO SAY THERE R BIG RISK A LOT OF POPUPS EVEN THOU I HAVE THEM BLOCKED WITH NORTON SECURITY THANK YOU

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments