Chrome and Firefox browsers not compatible with Windows 8.1 update

Anonymous
2013-10-18T17:15:32+00:00

I have just installed the new windows 8.1 update today (18th October) and found that both chrome and firefox do not work. (I had the latest versions installed which worked fine with windows 8.) I've even tried installing chrome 4.1 beta and the "unstable" chrome 5... I've made sure that they (chrome and firefox) are 'allowed' through the firewall, but still can't get them to work. Both web browsers open and look like they're working, but when I try to open a website chrome says it can't connect to the internet and firefox just remains on the start page. I know my internet works fine as internet explorer works and so does the app store. Any help on this would be appreciated! Thank you

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Apps

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-10-18T17:52:13+00:00

There's a solution by ianself on mozilla's support forum and it worked for me! It fixed both my chrome and firefox browsers.

  1. Type "cmd.exe" into Search and then right-click on Command Prompt****to select 'Run as administrator'
  2. Type "netsh winsock reset" into Command Prompt, and then press Enter
  3. Restart PC

 source: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/974612#answer-491242

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-09-23T23:05:33+00:00

    Thank you for your help,  It worked for me also.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-09-13T20:53:27+00:00

    Thank you so much for this fix..I can't tell you how grateful I am that you posted it! I work from home and if not for this solution, I could have lost my job. 

    So again,  Thank you so very much!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-07-31T21:27:58+00:00

    I just got windows 10 and I have notice that chrome doesn't work on it. How do I fix this?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-05-08T08:47:51+00:00

    DanMu - I too have a brand new computer and installed Firefox because of the "crashes" with IE -- well, Firefox doesn't perform correctly either .. Windows 8.1 isn't what it's "cracked up" to be in my book.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments