32-bit application fails to start after 8.1 upgrade, gives error 0xC000007B because of missing system DLLs.

Anonymous
2013-10-23T07:28:03+00:00

I had been using "IBM Rational ClearQuest Client 7.1.2 for Windows" 32-bit application with Windows 8 Pro x64 without problems.

But after 8.1 upgrade the ClearQuest fails to start and gives error 0xC000007B, which indicates that there's a bad or missing DLL.

I used the Windows 8.1 ISO file from MSDN to do the upgrade and I've also installed the GA updates, but the problem remains the same.

The DependencyWalker reports that the clearquest.exe is missing six Windows 8.1 system DLLs:

API-MS-WIN-CORE-KERNEL32-PRIVATE-L1-1-1.DLL

API-MS-WIN-CORE-PRIVATEPROFILE-L1-1-1.DLL

API-MS-WIN-SERVICE-PRIVATE-L1-1-1.DLL

API-MS-WIN-CORE-SHUTDOWN-L1-1-1.DLL

EXT-MS-WIN-NTUSER-UICONTEXT-EXT-L1-1-0.DLL

IESHIMS.DLL

First three of those files are located in SysWOW64\downlevel, but the 32-bit clearquest.exe is not able to find those DLLs. IESHIMS.DLL is located under WinSxS directory tree, but not available for 32-bit clearquest.exe

But API-MS-WIN-CORE-SHUTDOWN-L1-1-1.DLL and EXT-MS-WIN-NTUSER-UICONTEXT-EXT-L1-1-0.DLL can not be found at all from Windows 8.1 system!

This is very strange because SETUPAPI.DLL (in System32 and SysWOW64) depends on API-MS-WIN-CORE-SHUTDOWN-L1-1-1.DLL (checked with "dumpbin /imports" command)!

And D3D11.DLL depends on the missing EXT-MS-WIN-NTUSER-UICONTEXT-EXT-L1-1-0.DLL.

I've tried to install ClearQuest again but it didn't help. I've also used "sfc /verifyonly" command, but it reports that everyhing is OK.

I've checked two other Windows 8.1 systems that have also been upgraded from Windows 8 and those files are missing also in those systems.

Is it really so that there are system files missing from Windows 8.1 upgrades?

Jari

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-08-01T19:26:39+00:00

Hi everybody, just found something really interesting.

I've just got an quite old game and tried to play it on my win8.1update, then received 0xc000007b :-(

DependencyWalker told me the missing of six dlls and I just can't find some of those on web QAQ 

So I tried to play it on another laptop with XP and I was informed that there is something wrong with xinput1_3.dll

After downloading that dll (for 32-bit system) from the internet, the game works properly in XP :-)

And surprisingly, when I turn back to win8.1, replacing the original xinput1_3.dll of win8.1update with the downloaded one, the game miraculously starts to run!!!

I don't know why it works, but it does work.

For your reference.

Good Luck,

Lichen

Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-11-11T20:05:19+00:00

Hello!

I had problems with this API dll's missing with several 64 bit aplications

such as Magix video professional editor 2015 and Magix Samplitude 2015 along with

some programs from Native.

The solution for me was;

 Visual C++ Redistributable Packages for Visual Studio 2013

Download link:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40784

I reinstalled (repaired) these 2 files and all programs worked

vcredist_x64.exe

vcredist_x86-exe

Hopefully You experience the same!

Was this answer helpful?

3 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-02-26T22:03:31+00:00

    Yes but as I indicated this is not the problem. Right now even with the Path corrected depends.exe tells me that our application is missing

    API-MS-WIN-CORE-SHUTDOWN-L1-1-1.DLL

    EXT-MS-WIN-NTUSER-UICONTEXT-EXT-L1-1-0.DLL

    IESHIMS.DLL

    on Win8.1 but it runs fine with the fix we made. And even if we remove the path correction, and get the full set of missing dlls,  our application runs fine on Win8.1.

    So I believe the bottom line is if you are an end user of an application you are out of luck unless you can get the developer of the application to fix the problem in their code and send you an updated exe. The missing dlls are not the problem, that's what MSFT must be telling folks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-02-26T19:15:31+00:00

    As the OP indicated, downlevel folder is missing some of the specified DLLs.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-02-26T18:46:01+00:00

    I thought I put up an update here for all the hopeless folks who have this problem.

    The missing dlls are in Win8.1 but the path to it is not included by default. You need to edit the environment variables under the system properties dialog and add the following folder to the system variables Path:

    C:\windows\system32\downlevel

    Once you do that,  your application will find the dlls. But this may not solve the problem for you as an end user. It did not solve our problem. We had to actually modify our code to solve the issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments