32-bit application fails to start after 8.1 upgrade, gives error 0xC000007B because of missing system DLLs.

Anonymous
2013-10-23T07:28:03+00:00

I had been using "IBM Rational ClearQuest Client 7.1.2 for Windows" 32-bit application with Windows 8 Pro x64 without problems.

But after 8.1 upgrade the ClearQuest fails to start and gives error 0xC000007B, which indicates that there's a bad or missing DLL.

I used the Windows 8.1 ISO file from MSDN to do the upgrade and I've also installed the GA updates, but the problem remains the same.

The DependencyWalker reports that the clearquest.exe is missing six Windows 8.1 system DLLs:

API-MS-WIN-CORE-KERNEL32-PRIVATE-L1-1-1.DLL

API-MS-WIN-CORE-PRIVATEPROFILE-L1-1-1.DLL

API-MS-WIN-SERVICE-PRIVATE-L1-1-1.DLL

API-MS-WIN-CORE-SHUTDOWN-L1-1-1.DLL

EXT-MS-WIN-NTUSER-UICONTEXT-EXT-L1-1-0.DLL

IESHIMS.DLL

First three of those files are located in SysWOW64\downlevel, but the 32-bit clearquest.exe is not able to find those DLLs. IESHIMS.DLL is located under WinSxS directory tree, but not available for 32-bit clearquest.exe

But API-MS-WIN-CORE-SHUTDOWN-L1-1-1.DLL and EXT-MS-WIN-NTUSER-UICONTEXT-EXT-L1-1-0.DLL can not be found at all from Windows 8.1 system!

This is very strange because SETUPAPI.DLL (in System32 and SysWOW64) depends on API-MS-WIN-CORE-SHUTDOWN-L1-1-1.DLL (checked with "dumpbin /imports" command)!

And D3D11.DLL depends on the missing EXT-MS-WIN-NTUSER-UICONTEXT-EXT-L1-1-0.DLL.

I've tried to install ClearQuest again but it didn't help. I've also used "sfc /verifyonly" command, but it reports that everyhing is OK.

I've checked two other Windows 8.1 systems that have also been upgraded from Windows 8 and those files are missing also in those systems.

Is it really so that there are system files missing from Windows 8.1 upgrades?

Jari

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-08-01T19:26:39+00:00

Hi everybody, just found something really interesting.

I've just got an quite old game and tried to play it on my win8.1update, then received 0xc000007b :-(

DependencyWalker told me the missing of six dlls and I just can't find some of those on web QAQ 

So I tried to play it on another laptop with XP and I was informed that there is something wrong with xinput1_3.dll

After downloading that dll (for 32-bit system) from the internet, the game works properly in XP :-)

And surprisingly, when I turn back to win8.1, replacing the original xinput1_3.dll of win8.1update with the downloaded one, the game miraculously starts to run!!!

I don't know why it works, but it does work.

For your reference.

Good Luck,

Lichen

Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-11-11T20:05:19+00:00

Hello!

I had problems with this API dll's missing with several 64 bit aplications

such as Magix video professional editor 2015 and Magix Samplitude 2015 along with

some programs from Native.

The solution for me was;

 Visual C++ Redistributable Packages for Visual Studio 2013

Download link:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40784

I reinstalled (repaired) these 2 files and all programs worked

vcredist_x64.exe

vcredist_x86-exe

Hopefully You experience the same!

Was this answer helpful?

3 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-01-08T19:16:29+00:00

    MSFT's position on this does not make sense.

    I have the same project that I can compile with VS2012 on Win8.1 or Win8 but the resulting binary only runs on Win8 and not on Win8.1. How can I troubleshoot this problem when MSFT admits they have made structural changes to Win8.1 over Win8 which we can not modify.

    This is clearly MSFT problem as I am using their own tools and compiling with their latest Visual Studio products which fails on their latest operating system but runs fine on their previous version. I am not using legacy applications or tools, only the latest stuff. I find it quite comical :)

    Is anyone from MSFT reading these pages?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-01-08T07:45:44+00:00

    The MSDN support case that I had opened is now closed.

    The Microsoft's resolution to this issue was:

    "We diagnosed and tried rigorous troubleshooting to find the reason for missing stub dlls on the machine however these are by design on windows 8.1 after the upgrade. We are closing this case as by design"

    Just wondering why the "rigorous troubleshooting" was needed if such behavior is by design in Windows 8.1?

    Perhaps Microsoft Support is now aware of the design issues related to Windows 8.1 ... ;-)

    Jari

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-01-07T19:44:03+00:00

    We have a similar problem with our software on Windows 8.1

    Our software compiled on VS2012 runs fine on Windows 8 but fails on Windows 8.1.

    The DependencyWalker report is identical to the one from the original poster in this thread.

    I have access to the source code and know that it fails on a call to

    RegisterActiveObject()

    We had a similar problem when Windows 8 was launched, we reported it to MSFT, in a thread similar to this, but got no satisfactory replies. We were able to get around it in Windows 8 but the new release of Windows 8.1 broke our fix, again!

    We have sent quite a few "error log reports" to MSFT and we hope they resolve this issue ASAP.

    Overall the level of support from MSFT for developers is low to non-existent. We have no other way to contact them other than making posts online and hope for a reply!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments