Error Code - Invalid Process Attach Attempt

Anonymous
2014-02-03T05:21:28+00:00

I have an HP laptop with Windows 8.1 installed (x64) 

Ever since installing Windows 8.1, my laptop freezes at random while I'm using it and even CTRL,ALT,DEL doesn't work. So I have to turn it off, and the last time I turned it back on I got the above error with a blue screen. It restarted for me, but then was on a loop and I kept getting this error over and over.

Please help!

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2015-01-31T22:09:55+00:00

I solved this problem without removing avg on my new HP Laptop. I removed the Synaptics touchpad driver from the PC as part of the uninstall of the driver and no problem. I'm running 8.`1 Windows and the default driver from windows is OK unless you want to upgrade to the latest driver from Synaptics (which I haven't done and has to come from the HP site). To stop the error so you can delete the driver, best to use a usb mouse. (Do not push the touchpad buttons at any point if you want to do this without an independent mouse. Select by touching twice on the pad instead). Bad driver was version 17.0.6.2 and was delivered by HP in the new laptop.

Was this answer helpful?

9 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-03-29T06:12:35+00:00

Thank you for the detailed response. You can place the computer in **clean boot** and manually install Windows Update one after the other and check which update is causing this issue.

Note: After troubleshooting, see the section “Reset the computer to start as usual” to return the computer to a Normal startup mode.

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-12-29T04:31:43+00:00

    I just bought a new laptop & same thing is happening to me. Why should I have to do all of this troubleshooting when it is brand new??? Who has time for this?  Completely ridiculous. 

    Also, my computer is setup for auto updates but after going to the control panel it shows it has never updated.  I am running updates now there are 64 of them & its been hours & it is still @ 0%. 

    This computer is 2 days old & had these issues from the get go.  I have Windows 8 on other laptop & haven't had issue w/ Windows 8 on that one but I have had that laptop for 8 months & the hard drive is bad so shipped that one out to be fixed.  In the meantime, bought this one to have as a backup.  LOL!

    VERY FRUSTRATED!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-12-04T20:01:10+00:00

    The problem is the updates need to be installed in a specific order and if you tell your computer to do it, it doesn't download in the proper order. I took it to a computer service and repair shop and now its running just fine. This shouldn't have to happen that way. If your software cant update on its on without a human first telling it how to do it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-12-04T19:36:10+00:00

    So I just got my laptop, didn't download or TOUCH anything on my computer other than downloading the super important windows 8.1 updates my computer suggested me; as this is always what I do considering its been sitting in a box in a warehouse for who knows how long. The invalid_process_attach_attempt error was created BY one of these updates which is just. GRAND, because I would just ignore it, dump the computer and factory reset. BUT. My computer does not shut down without SHUT DOWN AND INSTALL UPDATES. I just want to let everyone know how entirely thrilled I am to have this invalid process attach attempt from windows on my computer because if I didn't know any better it looks and acts identical to an extreme virus rotting out my computer internally to break and be doomed forever. I can't wait to start off my college year with my HP 15 Notebook PC Intel Celeron 64 bit operating system with windows 8.1. 

    If I really wanted to start off my school year in a better situation I would have time traveled back 10 years ago and updated to Windows Vista hot off the line. *cringe*

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments