Error Code - Invalid Process Attach Attempt

Anonymous
2014-02-03T05:21:28+00:00

I have an HP laptop with Windows 8.1 installed (x64) 

Ever since installing Windows 8.1, my laptop freezes at random while I'm using it and even CTRL,ALT,DEL doesn't work. So I have to turn it off, and the last time I turned it back on I got the above error with a blue screen. It restarted for me, but then was on a loop and I kept getting this error over and over.

Please help!

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2015-01-31T22:09:55+00:00

I solved this problem without removing avg on my new HP Laptop. I removed the Synaptics touchpad driver from the PC as part of the uninstall of the driver and no problem. I'm running 8.`1 Windows and the default driver from windows is OK unless you want to upgrade to the latest driver from Synaptics (which I haven't done and has to come from the HP site). To stop the error so you can delete the driver, best to use a usb mouse. (Do not push the touchpad buttons at any point if you want to do this without an independent mouse. Select by touching twice on the pad instead). Bad driver was version 17.0.6.2 and was delivered by HP in the new laptop.

Was this answer helpful?

9 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-03-29T06:12:35+00:00

Thank you for the detailed response. You can place the computer in **clean boot** and manually install Windows Update one after the other and check which update is causing this issue.

Note: After troubleshooting, see the section “Reset the computer to start as usual” to return the computer to a Normal startup mode.

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-02-19T08:36:28+00:00

    Hi Meghan,

    I can imagine the inconvenience you are experiencing at this moment. Do not worry, I will assist you on this.

    Please answer the following questions, so that we can assist you better:

    1. What is the make and model of the computer?
    2. Did you try the steps suggested by, Anil Kumar B on February 4, 2014. If you have not tried the steps yet, then please try the steps and let us know the results.

    Please write to us with the required information, we will be glad to assist you further.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-02-19T02:44:57+00:00

    My computer also gives the Invalid_Process_Attach_Attempt except mine has been doing this since I bought it. If I turn the computer off it has this error and keeps trying to fix it automatically to where it is such a pain to get it on again. Which leaves me avoiding to turn computer off because i am afraid to be unable to turn it back on. Im not computer savvy and I didnt get a warranty when I got the computer. Any help would be greatly appreciated

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-02-01T15:35:34+00:00

    Thanks!  I have an acer with Windows 8.1.Deleted the Synaptics mouse pad (luckily I have a touch screen), problem solved.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments