Error Code - Invalid Process Attach Attempt

Anonymous
2014-02-03T05:21:28+00:00

I have an HP laptop with Windows 8.1 installed (x64) 

Ever since installing Windows 8.1, my laptop freezes at random while I'm using it and even CTRL,ALT,DEL doesn't work. So I have to turn it off, and the last time I turned it back on I got the above error with a blue screen. It restarted for me, but then was on a loop and I kept getting this error over and over.

Please help!

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2015-01-31T22:09:55+00:00

I solved this problem without removing avg on my new HP Laptop. I removed the Synaptics touchpad driver from the PC as part of the uninstall of the driver and no problem. I'm running 8.`1 Windows and the default driver from windows is OK unless you want to upgrade to the latest driver from Synaptics (which I haven't done and has to come from the HP site). To stop the error so you can delete the driver, best to use a usb mouse. (Do not push the touchpad buttons at any point if you want to do this without an independent mouse. Select by touching twice on the pad instead). Bad driver was version 17.0.6.2 and was delivered by HP in the new laptop.

Was this answer helpful?

9 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-03-29T06:12:35+00:00

Thank you for the detailed response. You can place the computer in **clean boot** and manually install Windows Update one after the other and check which update is causing this issue.

Note: After troubleshooting, see the section “Reset the computer to start as usual” to return the computer to a Normal startup mode.

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-06-21T20:04:22+00:00

    Roy,

    1. Did you check if the issue persists in Clean Boot?
    2. Do you have latest Windows updates installed in the computer?

    You may also check if the issue persist in new user account: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows/create-user-account#create-user-account=windows-8

    That's so funny because this whole issue started when I TRIED and update the PC.  I've had to reformat and not allow it to update at ALL.  Horrible fix but allowing it to update makes the computer unusable.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-06-21T19:44:54+00:00

    I seem to have resolved the issue, but not in a way I would want to.  I have had to uninstall AVG, which is my antivirus of choice, and use McAfee instead, because that was installed with the original software and cannot be completely removed.  I have had no problems since i did this.  I am not happy with this solution, as I prefer AVG to McAfee, and I feel that this is, effectively, inertia selling.  If I want the machine to operate correctly I am forced to use McAfee, and this very method is one that makes me want to use almost anything else.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-06-21T17:09:41+00:00

    Roy,

    1. Did you check if the issue persists in Clean Boot?
    2. Do you have latest Windows updates installed in the computer?

    You may also check if the issue persist in new user account: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows/create-user-account#create-user-account=windows-8

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments