I solved this problem without removing avg on my new HP Laptop. I removed the Synaptics touchpad driver from the PC as part of the uninstall of the driver and no problem. I'm running 8.`1 Windows and the default driver from windows is OK unless you want to upgrade to the latest driver from Synaptics (which I haven't done and has to come from the HP site). To stop the error so you can delete the driver, best to use a usb mouse. (Do not push the touchpad buttons at any point if you want to do this without an independent mouse. Select by touching twice on the pad instead). Bad driver was version 17.0.6.2 and was delivered by HP in the new laptop.
Error Code - Invalid Process Attach Attempt
I have an HP laptop with Windows 8.1 installed (x64)
Ever since installing Windows 8.1, my laptop freezes at random while I'm using it and even CTRL,ALT,DEL doesn't work. So I have to turn it off, and the last time I turned it back on I got the above error with a blue screen. It restarted for me, but then was on a loop and I kept getting this error over and over.
Please help!
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Thank you for the detailed response. You can place the computer in **clean boot** and manually install Windows Update one after the other and check which update is causing this issue.
Note: After troubleshooting, see the section “Reset the computer to start as usual” to return the computer to a Normal startup mode.
42 additional answers
Sort by: Newest
-
Anonymous
2014-07-24T02:27:55+00:00 I also am having the same problems with 8.1 on my Toshiba laptop. Freezes with the Invalid Process Attach Attempt. Ran the trouble shooting process and it came up with nothing. This absolutely seems to be a software problem as so many seem to be in the same sinking boat.
Requesting support! Please email me.
Sincerely,
Pat
-
Anonymous
2014-07-12T01:36:10+00:00 Roy,
- Did you check if the issue persists in Clean Boot?
- Do you have latest Windows updates installed in the computer?
You may also check if the issue persist in new user account: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows/create-user-account#create-user-account=windows-8
One should not have to do-si-do and promenade in order to update.
-
Anonymous
2014-07-12T00:20:12+00:00 I'm having this problem too! Which is really frustrating because I did not want to update this in the first place. I was forced to. I have a windows 8.1 toshiba laptop which I got about a month ago, and it updated...then restarted and updated again and said there was this error and went to restart again and is currently attempting to update again. What should I do? I mean isn't it microsoft's fault seeing as this seems to be happening to quite a few laptops.
I'm starting to think a chrome book is the way to go. Microsoft needs to step up and figure out which update THEY need to address.
Consider me another to suffer the problem, and yeah. I just bought it at the start of this month and it's so annoying trying to get it to work I am seriously turning to my cell phone instead. How to waste money - buy a laptop with Windows 8 on it.