Error Code - Invalid Process Attach Attempt

Anonymous
2014-02-03T05:21:28+00:00

I have an HP laptop with Windows 8.1 installed (x64) 

Ever since installing Windows 8.1, my laptop freezes at random while I'm using it and even CTRL,ALT,DEL doesn't work. So I have to turn it off, and the last time I turned it back on I got the above error with a blue screen. It restarted for me, but then was on a loop and I kept getting this error over and over.

Please help!

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2015-01-31T22:09:55+00:00

I solved this problem without removing avg on my new HP Laptop. I removed the Synaptics touchpad driver from the PC as part of the uninstall of the driver and no problem. I'm running 8.`1 Windows and the default driver from windows is OK unless you want to upgrade to the latest driver from Synaptics (which I haven't done and has to come from the HP site). To stop the error so you can delete the driver, best to use a usb mouse. (Do not push the touchpad buttons at any point if you want to do this without an independent mouse. Select by touching twice on the pad instead). Bad driver was version 17.0.6.2 and was delivered by HP in the new laptop.

Was this answer helpful?

9 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-03-29T06:12:35+00:00

Thank you for the detailed response. You can place the computer in **clean boot** and manually install Windows Update one after the other and check which update is causing this issue.

Note: After troubleshooting, see the section “Reset the computer to start as usual” to return the computer to a Normal startup mode.

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-05-01T01:35:35+00:00

    I'm having this problem too! Which is really frustrating because I did not want to update this in the first place. I was forced to. I have a windows 8.1 toshiba laptop which I got about a month ago, and it updated...then restarted and updated again and said there was this error and went to restart again and is currently attempting to update again. What should I do? I mean isn't it microsoft's fault seeing as this seems to be happening to quite a few laptops.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-03-27T21:13:34+00:00

    What happens is after installing updates when it gets to the welcome screen where I type in my password for windows as soon as you move the cursor it comes up with the error and restarts. Then recommends you restore the computer.  So I do. I know its something to do with the windows updates because Ive done it several times and it only happens right after I allow the update. So right now I haven't updated because I don't know which update is causing the problem. It's a brand new laptop.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-03-25T08:10:49+00:00

    Crystal,

    I would appreciate if you could help me with more information.

    1. Are you able to boot to the desktop?
    2. Do you have Windows 8.1 installation media?

    Reply with more information to help you better.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments