I solved this problem without removing avg on my new HP Laptop. I removed the Synaptics touchpad driver from the PC as part of the uninstall of the driver and no problem. I'm running 8.`1 Windows and the default driver from windows is OK unless you want to upgrade to the latest driver from Synaptics (which I haven't done and has to come from the HP site). To stop the error so you can delete the driver, best to use a usb mouse. (Do not push the touchpad buttons at any point if you want to do this without an independent mouse. Select by touching twice on the pad instead). Bad driver was version 17.0.6.2 and was delivered by HP in the new laptop.
Error Code - Invalid Process Attach Attempt
I have an HP laptop with Windows 8.1 installed (x64)
Ever since installing Windows 8.1, my laptop freezes at random while I'm using it and even CTRL,ALT,DEL doesn't work. So I have to turn it off, and the last time I turned it back on I got the above error with a blue screen. It restarted for me, but then was on a loop and I kept getting this error over and over.
Please help!
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Thank you for the detailed response. You can place the computer in **clean boot** and manually install Windows Update one after the other and check which update is causing this issue.
Note: After troubleshooting, see the section “Reset the computer to start as usual” to return the computer to a Normal startup mode.
42 additional answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Anonymous
2014-06-21T16:05:40+00:00 I also am having the same problems with 8.1 on my Toshiba laptop. Freezes with the Invalid Process Attach Attempt. Ran the trouble shooting process and it came up with nothing. This seems to be a software problem, requesting support, please email me.
Sincerely,
Roy
-
Anonymous
2014-03-25T01:11:05+00:00 I'm having the same problem but only after instaling Windows updates. I have to then restore my computer or else it won't load I just get this error message. it's a brand new laptop. it just says for more information to look up invalid process attach attempt.
-
Anonymous
2014-02-03T19:29:06+00:00 Hi JaimeSopel,
I would appreciate if you could help me with more information.
-What is the exact/complete error message?
This issue can be caused due to third-party application conflict or incompatible drivers. I would suggest you to try these steps and check if it helps.
Method 1:
Step 1: Boot the computer in **Safe mode******and check if the issue persists. Safe mode starts Windows with a limited set of files and drivers. Startup programs don't run in safe mode, and only the basic drivers needed to start Windows are installed.
**Step 2:**If the issue does not persists in Safe Mode then perform a **clean boot** to check if any third party application is causing the issue, as clean boot helps in eliminating software conflicts.
Note: After troubleshooting, see the section “Reset the computer to start as usual” to return the computer to a Normal startup mode.
Method 2:
Install all the pending Windows Updates and check if it makes any difference.
To check for updates
a) Open Windows Update in Control Panel by swiping in from the right edge of the screen, tapping Search (or, if you're using a mouse, pointing to the upper-right corner of the screen, moving the mouse pointer down, and then clicking Search), entering Windows Update in the search box, tapping or clicking Settings, and then tapping or clicking Install optional updates.
b) In the left pane, tap or click Check for updates, and then wait while Windows looks for the latest updates for your PC.
c) If updates are found, tap or click Install updates.
Read and accept the license terms, and then tap or click Finish if the update requires it. You might be asked for an admin password or to confirm your choice.
Method 3:
I would suggest you to follow these steps and run the System Maintenance troubleshooter:
a. Open **Control panel**.
b. Click on Troubleshooting.
c. Click View all on the left pane of the screen.
d. In the list of options, click on System Maintenance.
e. Click Next and follow the on-screen instructions.
Let us know the status of the issue. If you need further assistance, please post back. We will be glad to help you.