In the end I just rolled the system back to a restore point that corresponded with the last successful Microsoft Update and that fixed whatever was causing the problem. New updates load fine now.
Windows 7 Update fails with error code C000000D - Windows Update encountered an unknown error
I tried running windows update from the action center today and now get this error message. Last successful update was a couple of weeks ago. Rebooting the computer makes no difference. I have run the windows update troubleshooter found on the update error window available under the "Get help with this error" link and it says that it fixed two problems (Service registration is missing or corrupt - Fixed, Problems installing recent updates - Fixed) but windows update still refuses to run. The troubleshooter did return one puzzling piece of information; it said "Windows Version: 6.1, Architecture: amd64" when in fact Windows, when asked, will say that it is a "Intel Core i7-2600k" (3.4GHz quad core sandy bridge to be specific).
Are there any suggestions how I might troubleshoot or fix the update failure?
In the WUDiagTempFolder\windowsupdate.log file I did find this section that referred to this error:
2014-08-03 19:21:53:067 1184 2208 Agent ** START ** Agent: Finding updates [CallerId = AutomaticUpdates]
2014-08-03 19:21:53:067 1184 2208 Agent *********
2014-08-03 19:21:53:067 1184 2208 Agent * Online = Yes; Ignore download priority = No
2014-08-03 19:21:53:067 1184 2208 Agent * Criteria = "IsInstalled=0 and DeploymentAction='Installation' or IsPresent=1 and DeploymentAction='Uninstallation' or IsInstalled=1 and DeploymentAction='Installation' and RebootRequired=1 or IsInstalled=0 and DeploymentAction='Uninstallation' and RebootRequired=1"
2014-08-03 19:21:53:067 1184 2208 Agent * ServiceID = {7971F918-A847-4430-9279-4A52D1EFE18D} Third party service
2014-08-03 19:21:53:067 1184 2208 Agent * Search Scope = {Machine}
2014-08-03 19:21:53:069 1184 2208 Misc Validating signature for C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\WuRedir\9482F4B4-E343-43B6-B170-9A65BC822C77\wuredir.cab with dwProvFlags 0x00000080:
2014-08-03 19:22:13:089 1184 2208 Misc Microsoft signed: NA
2014-08-03 19:22:13:113 1184 2208 Misc Validating signature for C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\WuRedir\9482F4B4-E343-43B6-B170-9A65BC822C77\TMPE82E.tmp with dwProvFlags 0x00000080:
2014-08-03 19:22:28:138 1184 2208 Misc FATAL: Error: 0xc000000d when verifying trust for C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\WuRedir\9482F4B4-E343-43B6-B170-9A65BC822C77\TMPE82E.tmp
2014-08-03 19:22:28:138 1184 2208 Misc WARNING: Digital Signatures on file C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\WuRedir\9482F4B4-E343-43B6-B170-9A65BC822C77\TMPE82E.tmp are not trusted: Error 0xc000000d
2014-08-03 19:22:28:138 1184 2208 WuRedir FATAL: Quorum check failed: c000000d
2014-08-03 19:22:35:522 1184 2208 Misc WARNING: WinHttp: SendRequestToServerForFileInformation failed with 0x80190194
2014-08-03 19:22:35:522 1184 2208 Misc WARNING: WinHttp: ShouldFileBeDownloaded failed with 0x80190194
2014-08-03 19:22:35:522 1184 2208 Misc WARNING: DownloadFileInternal failed for http://ds.download.windowsupdate.com/v11/2/windowsupdate/redir/v6-win7sp1-wuredir.cab: error 0x80190194
2014-08-03 19:22:42:807 1184 2208 Misc WARNING: WinHttp: SendRequestToServerForFileInformation failed with 0x80190194
2014-08-03 19:22:42:807 1184 2208 Misc WARNING: WinHttp: ShouldFileBeDownloaded failed with 0x80190194
2014-08-03 19:22:42:807 1184 2208 Misc WARNING: DownloadFileInternal failed for http://download.microsoft.com/v11/2/windowsupdate/redir/v6-win7sp1-wuredir.cab: error 0x80190194
2014-08-03 19:22:50:247 1184 2208 Misc Validating signature for C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\WuRedir\9482F4B4-E343-43B6-B170-9A65BC822C77\v6-win7sp1-wuredir.cab with dwProvFlags 0x00000080:
2014-08-03 19:22:50:262 1184 2208 Misc Microsoft signed: NA
2014-08-03 19:22:50:263 1184 2208 Misc Validating signature for C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\WuRedir\9482F4B4-E343-43B6-B170-9A65BC822C77\wuredir.cab with dwProvFlags 0x00000080:
2014-08-03 19:22:50:267 1184 2208 Misc Microsoft signed: NA
2014-08-03 19:22:50:270 1184 2208 Misc Validating signature for C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\WuRedir\9482F4B4-E343-43B6-B170-9A65BC822C77\TMP7947.tmp with dwProvFlags 0x00000080:
2014-08-03 19:22:50:276 1184 2208 Misc FATAL: Error: 0xc000000d when verifying trust for C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\WuRedir\9482F4B4-E343-43B6-B170-9A65BC822C77\TMP7947.tmp
2014-08-03 19:22:50:276 1184 2208 Misc WARNING: Digital Signatures on file C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\WuRedir\9482F4B4-E343-43B6-B170-9A65BC822C77\TMP7947.tmp are not trusted: Error 0xc000000d
2014-08-03 19:22:50:276 1184 2208 WuRedir FATAL: Quorum check failed: c000000d
2014-08-03 19:22:50:277 1184 2208 Agent WARNING: Failed to obtain the authorization cab URLs, hr=0xc000000d
2014-08-03 19:22:50:277 1184 2208 Agent * WARNING: Online service registration/service ID resolution failed, hr=0xC000000D
2014-08-03 19:22:50:277 1184 2208 Agent * WARNING: Exit code = 0xC000000D
2014-08-03 19:22:50:277 1184 2208 Agent *********
2014-08-03 19:22:50:277 1184 2208 Agent ** END ** Agent: Finding updates [CallerId = AutomaticUpdates]
It looks like a file is not trusted by the machine. How might this be fixed?
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
47 additional answers
Sort by: Oldest
-
Anonymous
2014-09-02T15:05:11+00:00 Rok
Your problem is different to the one Aisha has.
Please provide a copy of your System Information file. Type System Information in the Search Box above the start Button and press the ENTER key (alternative is Select Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Information). Select File, Export and give the file a name noting where it is located. Do not place the cursor within the body of the report before exporting the file. The system creates a new System Information file each time system information is accessed. You need to allow a minute or two for the file to be fully populated before exporting a copy. Please upload to your OneDrive (formerly Sky Drive), share with everyone and post a link here. Reports in normal mode preferred. Please say if the report has been obtained in safe mode.
Please upload and share with everyone fresh copies of your System and Application logs from your Event Viewer to your One Drive (formerly Sky Drive) and post a link here. You can remove the earlier copies of the logs from your OneDrive.
To access the System log select Start, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Event Viewer, from the list in the left side of the window expand Windows Logs and select System. Place the cursor on System, select Action from the Menu and Save All Events as (the default evtx file type) and give the file a name. Do the same for the Applications log. Do not provide filtered files. Do not place the cursor in the list of reports before selecting Action from the menu. Do not clear logs whilst you have a continuing problem.
For help with OneDrive see paragraph 9.3:
http://www.gerryscomputertips.co.uk/MicrosoftCommunity1.htm
General notes on Event Viewer
http://www.gerryscomputertips.co.uk/syserrors5.htm
Please note you are providing copies of three files not two!
-
Anonymous
2014-09-02T17:12:20+00:00 hello Gerry,
here is link:
hope I have done everything correct.
thank you for help
-
Anonymous
2014-09-02T23:00:27+00:00 Hi, I have the same problem.
Windows could not search for new updates. My SO is Windows 7 Professional x64
-
Anonymous
2014-09-03T20:00:53+00:00 Hi Gerry,
Well it looks like I'm the latest victim of the Windows Update fail on code C000000D.
While I was away on holidays my system was updated August 1st with the latest Windows Update Agent v7.6.7600.320
It wasn't until recently that I discovered that I had not received any updates, after checking my updates it showed I had not received any since then. Every time I attempt I get that error code.
Reading previous comments I went ahead and copied the 3 files to my OneDrive.
Here's the link http://1drv.ms/1vOIikv
I was not in safe mode however I did have my none Microsoft services disabled (which caused another problem that I've since resolved)
Appreciate any advice or recommendations you may have.
Thanks
Brad