Windows 7 Update fails with error code C000000D - Windows Update encountered an unknown error

Anonymous
2014-08-05T15:18:32+00:00

I tried running windows update from the action center today and now get this error message.   Last successful update was a couple of weeks ago. Rebooting the computer makes no difference. I have run the windows update troubleshooter found on the update error window available under the "Get help with this error" link and it says that it fixed two problems (Service registration is missing or corrupt - Fixed,  Problems installing recent updates - Fixed) but windows update still refuses to run.  The troubleshooter did return one puzzling piece of information; it said  "Windows Version: 6.1, Architecture: amd64" when in fact Windows, when asked, will say that it is a "Intel Core i7-2600k" (3.4GHz quad core sandy bridge to be specific).

Are there any suggestions how I might troubleshoot or fix the update failure?

In the WUDiagTempFolder\windowsupdate.log file I did find this section that referred to this error:

2014-08-03    19:21:53:067    1184    2208    Agent    ** START **  Agent: Finding updates [CallerId = AutomaticUpdates]

2014-08-03    19:21:53:067    1184    2208    Agent    *********

2014-08-03    19:21:53:067    1184    2208    Agent      * Online = Yes; Ignore download priority = No

2014-08-03    19:21:53:067    1184    2208    Agent      * Criteria = "IsInstalled=0 and DeploymentAction='Installation' or IsPresent=1 and DeploymentAction='Uninstallation' or IsInstalled=1 and DeploymentAction='Installation' and RebootRequired=1 or IsInstalled=0 and DeploymentAction='Uninstallation' and RebootRequired=1"

2014-08-03    19:21:53:067    1184    2208    Agent      * ServiceID = {7971F918-A847-4430-9279-4A52D1EFE18D} Third party service

2014-08-03    19:21:53:067    1184    2208    Agent      * Search Scope = {Machine}

2014-08-03    19:21:53:069    1184    2208    Misc    Validating signature for C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\WuRedir\9482F4B4-E343-43B6-B170-9A65BC822C77\wuredir.cab with dwProvFlags 0x00000080:

2014-08-03    19:22:13:089    1184    2208    Misc     Microsoft signed: NA

2014-08-03    19:22:13:113    1184    2208    Misc    Validating signature for C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\WuRedir\9482F4B4-E343-43B6-B170-9A65BC822C77\TMPE82E.tmp with dwProvFlags 0x00000080:

2014-08-03    19:22:28:138    1184    2208    Misc    FATAL: Error: 0xc000000d when verifying trust for C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\WuRedir\9482F4B4-E343-43B6-B170-9A65BC822C77\TMPE82E.tmp

2014-08-03    19:22:28:138    1184    2208    Misc    WARNING: Digital Signatures on file C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\WuRedir\9482F4B4-E343-43B6-B170-9A65BC822C77\TMPE82E.tmp are not trusted: Error 0xc000000d

2014-08-03    19:22:28:138    1184    2208    WuRedir    FATAL: Quorum check failed: c000000d

2014-08-03    19:22:35:522    1184    2208    Misc    WARNING: WinHttp: SendRequestToServerForFileInformation failed with 0x80190194

2014-08-03    19:22:35:522    1184    2208    Misc    WARNING: WinHttp: ShouldFileBeDownloaded failed with 0x80190194

2014-08-03    19:22:35:522    1184    2208    Misc    WARNING: DownloadFileInternal failed for http://ds.download.windowsupdate.com/v11/2/windowsupdate/redir/v6-win7sp1-wuredir.cab: error 0x80190194

2014-08-03    19:22:42:807    1184    2208    Misc    WARNING: WinHttp: SendRequestToServerForFileInformation failed with 0x80190194

2014-08-03    19:22:42:807    1184    2208    Misc    WARNING: WinHttp: ShouldFileBeDownloaded failed with 0x80190194

2014-08-03    19:22:42:807    1184    2208    Misc    WARNING: DownloadFileInternal failed for http://download.microsoft.com/v11/2/windowsupdate/redir/v6-win7sp1-wuredir.cab: error 0x80190194

2014-08-03    19:22:50:247    1184    2208    Misc    Validating signature for C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\WuRedir\9482F4B4-E343-43B6-B170-9A65BC822C77\v6-win7sp1-wuredir.cab with dwProvFlags 0x00000080:

2014-08-03    19:22:50:262    1184    2208    Misc     Microsoft signed: NA

2014-08-03    19:22:50:263    1184    2208    Misc    Validating signature for C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\WuRedir\9482F4B4-E343-43B6-B170-9A65BC822C77\wuredir.cab with dwProvFlags 0x00000080:

2014-08-03    19:22:50:267    1184    2208    Misc     Microsoft signed: NA

2014-08-03    19:22:50:270    1184    2208    Misc    Validating signature for C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\WuRedir\9482F4B4-E343-43B6-B170-9A65BC822C77\TMP7947.tmp with dwProvFlags 0x00000080:

2014-08-03    19:22:50:276    1184    2208    Misc    FATAL: Error: 0xc000000d when verifying trust for C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\WuRedir\9482F4B4-E343-43B6-B170-9A65BC822C77\TMP7947.tmp

2014-08-03    19:22:50:276    1184    2208    Misc    WARNING: Digital Signatures on file C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\WuRedir\9482F4B4-E343-43B6-B170-9A65BC822C77\TMP7947.tmp are not trusted: Error 0xc000000d

2014-08-03    19:22:50:276    1184    2208    WuRedir    FATAL: Quorum check failed: c000000d

2014-08-03    19:22:50:277    1184    2208    Agent    WARNING: Failed to obtain the authorization cab URLs, hr=0xc000000d

2014-08-03    19:22:50:277    1184    2208    Agent      * WARNING: Online service registration/service ID resolution failed, hr=0xC000000D

2014-08-03    19:22:50:277    1184    2208    Agent      * WARNING: Exit code = 0xC000000D

2014-08-03    19:22:50:277    1184    2208    Agent    *********

2014-08-03    19:22:50:277    1184    2208    Agent    **  END  **  Agent: Finding updates [CallerId = AutomaticUpdates]

It looks like a file is not trusted by the machine.  How might this be fixed?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-08-14T22:20:32+00:00

In the end I just rolled the system back to a restore point that corresponded with the last successful Microsoft Update and that fixed whatever was causing the problem. New updates load fine now.

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-09-23T17:14:04+00:00

    under this reg key are there are no entries that point to dlls from Entrust?

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Cryptography\OID\EncodingType 0

    (Thinking the uninstall may not have fully removed it)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-09-23T16:45:17+00:00

    Looks like when you install Entrust then Entrust's libraries are being used for doing SHA-256 and their libraries fail verification of some things MS's libraries say are valid. 

    Can you suggest a way one might revert back to using the MS libraries? I have uninstalled Entrust and that did not do it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-09-23T16:24:38+00:00

    Hi all,

    I've got same problem with Entrust vs Windows 7. The workaround commented in this page worked for me: http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/344032-windows-update-fails-error-c000000d.html

    Best Regards

    Jose

    That works for getting windows update to work but that broke the SHA-256 algorithm so broke many apps that used it so couldn't leave the computer in that state.  Exported that key and reimported after windows update rebooted and rebooted again and everything is fine.

    I wonder if workaround #2 from mcafee would work better:  https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB77683

    (the part of the workaround dealing with registry keys from Entrust)

    Looks like when you install Entrust then Entrust's libraries are being used for doing SHA-256 and their libraries fail verification of some things MS's libraries say are valid.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-09-23T14:55:03+00:00

    The workaround commented in this page worked for me: http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/344032-windows-update-fails-error-c000000d.html

    Best Regards

    Jose

    As the one who opened this thread I'm finally glad to say that here is something (deletion of a reg key controlling encryption) that finally works for me as well. I don't think that it is truly a "fix"; that will need to wait for MS & Entrust to sort out their differences.

    My system is also a company machine so I'm somewhat limited in what I can and cannot do with it, but I do have admin rights so I'm better off than some.  Entrust had been installed on the system but was uninstalled long before the offending MS update was delivered, yet that update still seemed to have caused MS update to break. After reading here about how Entrust seemed to be involved, I went through the system and removed every remaining file and registry key with "entrust" in the name (there were still quite a few despite it having been uninstalled) but even doing that did not allow the MS update to work. Finally today I see Jose's pointer to this other forum that suggests the deletion of this registry key, so I export it, delete it, reboot and retry MS update and it is working! Yea! 

    Now I just need to hear that MS has come up with a fix for the root cause of the problem so I can replace the cryptography key and I'll mark this one as answered ...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments