Internet gradually slows down

Anonymous
2014-02-18T13:39:39+00:00

I am using a desktop computer with Windows 7. I am connected to the internet via a Netgear wireless router, and recently I have been experiencing a problem where my internet speed gradually slows down and ultimately I am unable to load webpages/internet content through any browser/other software (eg skype calls, dropbox). 

When I initially boot the computer, internet speeds are fine, but the longer I use it the slower my connection gets.

I have many other devices on this network that have no problem with internet speeds - a Mac laptop, a Playstation 3, a 3DS, a Playstation Vita, an iPhone, etc. this problem is isolated to my Windows PC. I assume it is a software or configuration issue as my signal strength is strong (literally three metres away from the router, my computer is relatively new (less than a year), and the problem seems to 'fix' itself when I reboot my computer each time, until the connection starts to slow down again.

What might be the cause of this problem? I'm happy to respond with configuration info on my computer and router if you let me know what is relevant to post.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-04-23T20:27:24+00:00

    I have the exact same symptoms, but when the computer slows down the CPU graph doesn't indicate that it's getting overwhelmed - the computer just becomes almost unresponsive.

    I'm sorry for you but it's still nice to see that I'm not the only person with these symptoms!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-04-24T00:15:34+00:00

    Yep. I am pretty sure the computer is waiting on reply from some Internet location but I don't know what or I would stop it. It seems tome that for access to some websites, the computer is not truly multitasking. It waits for that action to be completed before proceding. e.g. when the browser get into "not responding" mode them you often can't do CTRL/ALT/DEL or anything to kill it or do anything, You have to wait.

    It is very annoying and in my mind very bad design that any process waiting for something can prevent the user interfacing to the PC.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-04-25T00:56:11+00:00

    Hi,

    I've had the same issue on two PCs, the only common components being the GTX970 and some HDDs (but not the boot drive).

    I took out the 970 and the issue still exists. Next I'll remove the HDDs. If it still persists I'll be reinstalling, running the bare minimum hardware and load each piece of software, testing for 2-3 hours in between. When I'll have time to do that.... It could be a while away :(

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-04-25T02:22:44+00:00

    Hello Nick,

    Thank you for replying.

    I would suggest you to perform clean boot and then check the issue with Internet connection and browser.

    Refer:

    How to perform a clean boot in Windows

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

    Clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program or an update or when you run a program.

    Note: After you have finished troubleshooting, follow these steps from section “How to reset the computer to start as usual after clean boot troubleshooting” to reset the computer to start as usual.

    I hope it helps.

    Thank you

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2017-05-16T19:53:58+00:00

    What helped for me was going to the Advanced tab of my Ethernet Adapter and change the value of 'jumbo frames'.

    It was on the lowest setting...I have changed it to 9KB MTU.

    I have a 150mbps connection and after 8 hours it only did 68mbps. Without rebooting and changing this setting it went up to 98mbps.

    So an increase of 30 mbps, which I could not have done before, and it was instant.

    I have installed the 23.03.2017 driver of my Realtek card, which could not be installed through Windows 10 automatically. Had to go to the Realtek site for that one.

    I also disabled the energy setting that could shut down the Ethernet card.

    There are more Tweaks for an Ethernet card.

    I only used the Jumbo Frames, but here is more:

    http://techgenix.com/advanced-network-adapter-driver-settings/

    I know I am replying late in this thread. Hope it can be helpful to other Windows 10 users.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments