In my case the problem was the USB Hub I was using to connect to the Internet. Once I directly connected the CAT5 cavble to teh computer the porblem went away.
Best,
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
I am using a desktop computer with Windows 7. I am connected to the internet via a Netgear wireless router, and recently I have been experiencing a problem where my internet speed gradually slows down and ultimately I am unable to load webpages/internet content through any browser/other software (eg skype calls, dropbox).
When I initially boot the computer, internet speeds are fine, but the longer I use it the slower my connection gets.
I have many other devices on this network that have no problem with internet speeds - a Mac laptop, a Playstation 3, a 3DS, a Playstation Vita, an iPhone, etc. this problem is isolated to my Windows PC. I assume it is a software or configuration issue as my signal strength is strong (literally three metres away from the router, my computer is relatively new (less than a year), and the problem seems to 'fix' itself when I reboot my computer each time, until the connection starts to slow down again.
What might be the cause of this problem? I'm happy to respond with configuration info on my computer and router if you let me know what is relevant to post.
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
In my case the problem was the USB Hub I was using to connect to the Internet. Once I directly connected the CAT5 cavble to teh computer the porblem went away.
Best,
Direct connection with least HW and SW in between is always best. But.....my significant other can't stand wiring around the place. So WiFi it is . :-/
Hello Nick,
Thank you for responding.
Safe mode is a troubleshooting option for Windows that starts your computer in a limited state. Only the basic files and drivers necessary to run Windows are started. Additionally, Internet does not work in safe mode.
A Windows user may use Windows in safe mode. However, applications may not work due to the reason mentioned
above.
Thank you
Ratandeep,
Thanks for confirming.
With no Internet in Safe Mode, it may make it tough to troubleshoot a problem that requires Internet connection to show itself. Although there maybe other things you can see.
HI,
Thanks for the ideas.
I've already spent a bit of time going through and looking at the resources, seeing what was utilizing the PC at different times, trying to see what it could be, but nothing has stood out.
There is one other strange symptom. When the network does slow down, it seems to take inordinate amounts of CPU to transfer data. If I run a Speedtest I find that my PC comes a little jerky when its showing the maximum 200/200 speed (just after a reboot) but, when the speed has reduced to 50/50 or so) the computer become unresponsive, until the test is done and the results pop up. It's a fairly highly specked PC with a Sandy Lake i5, 16GB ram an a NVME drive.
Unfortunately I don't have time to sit there in safe mode, eliminating one thing at a time to try and find the culprit, but that is probably what I'm going to have to do. I guess I was hoping someone might have an idea :)
Thanks again.
Arran.