Internet gradually slows down

Anonymous
2014-02-18T13:39:39+00:00

I am using a desktop computer with Windows 7. I am connected to the internet via a Netgear wireless router, and recently I have been experiencing a problem where my internet speed gradually slows down and ultimately I am unable to load webpages/internet content through any browser/other software (eg skype calls, dropbox). 

When I initially boot the computer, internet speeds are fine, but the longer I use it the slower my connection gets.

I have many other devices on this network that have no problem with internet speeds - a Mac laptop, a Playstation 3, a 3DS, a Playstation Vita, an iPhone, etc. this problem is isolated to my Windows PC. I assume it is a software or configuration issue as my signal strength is strong (literally three metres away from the router, my computer is relatively new (less than a year), and the problem seems to 'fix' itself when I reboot my computer each time, until the connection starts to slow down again.

What might be the cause of this problem? I'm happy to respond with configuration info on my computer and router if you let me know what is relevant to post.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-12-24T16:50:10+00:00

    Hello Paxorbis,

    Thank you for the response.

    It is unfortunate that the issue still persists.

    However, I really appreciate your efforts towards resolving the issue.

    Please keep us posted on the status of the issue.

    Thank you

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-12-24T22:39:49+00:00

    It works:

                            ---- > Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 Plus Bluetooth 4.0 <----

                                        ---- > It works already everything WiFi+WiDi+BT < ----

    Uinstal all WiFi + BT aplications for connecting before.

    Instal driver example for Win 8.1 64bit

    Example Driver Link for Intel

    Works:

    • WiFi, WiDi, BT

    - Receiving/End Skype calls from the click in headphones.

    • Sending photos from phone to computer (Android or Win Phone)

        WiDi - dragging your finger across the screen.

    (Thank INTEL that you are). It works , nothing more, sorry.

    Other Manufacturer let go hell (Broadcom,Atheros,Kiler),

    back my year of life, for the configuration !!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-12-26T22:06:12+00:00

    Well, problem keeps happening fairly regularly now. To get back to a higher speed was to reboot, but now I found out that if I disable and then re-enable the adapter the speed will go back to maximum, at least

    until it degrades again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-12-27T09:38:24+00:00

    Hello Microstuff,

    Thank you for your input.

    I hope that your suggestions may help other community members to resolve similar issues.

    I appreciate it.

    Thank you

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2015-11-04T03:08:24+00:00

    I have been having same problem for long time. No permanent solution yet. My Internet d/l goes from starting at 65 Mb/S down to 3 Mb/s at worst. I restart the adaptor by changing the adhoc b/g channel setting even though I amusing mode "a" not b/g and have no adhoc function enabled.

    I really would like to get this fixed it is extremely annoying. Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit, HP ENVY Laptop.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments