Internet gradually slows down

Anonymous
2014-02-18T13:39:39+00:00

I am using a desktop computer with Windows 7. I am connected to the internet via a Netgear wireless router, and recently I have been experiencing a problem where my internet speed gradually slows down and ultimately I am unable to load webpages/internet content through any browser/other software (eg skype calls, dropbox). 

When I initially boot the computer, internet speeds are fine, but the longer I use it the slower my connection gets.

I have many other devices on this network that have no problem with internet speeds - a Mac laptop, a Playstation 3, a 3DS, a Playstation Vita, an iPhone, etc. this problem is isolated to my Windows PC. I assume it is a software or configuration issue as my signal strength is strong (literally three metres away from the router, my computer is relatively new (less than a year), and the problem seems to 'fix' itself when I reboot my computer each time, until the connection starts to slow down again.

What might be the cause of this problem? I'm happy to respond with configuration info on my computer and router if you let me know what is relevant to post.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-02-20T08:43:04+00:00

    Your System Information file reveals these [Problem Devices]

    Device PNP Device ID Error Code       

    Photosmart C309a series         ROOT\MULTIFUNCTION\0000              This device is disabled.

    USB20 Camera              USB\VID_045E&PID_00F4&MI_00\6&2EE93250&0&0000    The drivers for this device are not installed.         

    Lexmark X422  ROOT\IMAGE\0000     This device cannot start.

    Photosmart C309a series         ROOT\IMAGE\0001     This device is disabled.

    Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter        {5D624F94-8850-40C3-A3FA-A4FD2080BAF3}\VWIFIMP\5&E229281&0&01           This device is disabled.

    Please comment.

    It appears from your System Information file and Event Viewer that you have a problem with Windows Update. Please comment.

    What is your computer make and model? If not a branded computer what is your motherboard make and model?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-02-20T07:25:53+00:00

    Hello Echidnite,

    Thank you for keeping us updated on the status of the issue.

    I would suggest you to try following methods and check the issue.

    Method 1:

    Reset TCP/IP

    Refer:

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357

    If it does not help, then use method 2.

    Method 2:

    Disable the DHCP Broadcast Flag

    Refer:

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233

    To resolve this issue, disable the DHCP BROADCAST flag in Windows 7. To do this, follow these steps:

    a. Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then click regedit in the Programs list.

    If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.

    b. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces{GUID}

    c. In this registry path, click the (GUID) subkey that corresponds to the network adapter that is connected to the network.

    d. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD (32-bit) Value.

    e. In the New Value #1 box, type DhcpConnEnableBcastFlagToggle, and then press Enter.

    f. Right-click DhcpConnEnableBcastFlagToggle, and then click Modify.

    g. In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK.

    h. Close Registry Editor.

    By setting this registry key to 1, Windows 7 will first try to obtain an IP address by using the BROADCAST flag in DHCP Discover packets. If that fails, it will try to obtain an IP address without using the BROADCAST flag in DHCP Discover packets.

    Note: Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/back-up-registry

    I hope this information will be helpful.

    Please let us know if you need any further assistance.

    Thank you

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-02-19T23:42:52+00:00

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-02-19T14:32:06+00:00

    A new function was added to Disk CleanUp in October 2013, which is not available in cCleaner. You need to change existing settings to take advantage of the new function. Type Disk CleanUp in the Search Box above the Start Button and press the ENTER key. Click on OK and after the space calculation you will see a window with a list of Files to delete. Use the scroll bar to the right of the window to see hidden entries further down the list. Check the boxes before Service Pack BackUp Files and Windows Update CleanUp and click on OK You will see savings every time after Windows has been updated but they are not as significant when it is run after the first time. You need to restart the computer to complete the process.

    Please download and run ADWCleaner:

    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

    Please download and run Junkware Removal tool

    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/junkware-removal-tool/

    Please provide a copy of your System Information file. Type System Information in the Search Box above the start Button and press the ENTER key (alternative is Select Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Information). Select File, Export and give the file a name noting where it is located. Do not place the cursor within the body of the report before exporting the file. The system creates a new System Information file each time system information is accessed. You need to allow a minute or two for the file to be fully populated before exporting a copy. Please upload to your Sky Drive, share with everyone and post a link here. Reports in normal mode preferred. Please say if the report has been obtained in safe mode.

    Please upload and share with everyone copies of your System and Application logs from your Event Viewer to your Sky Drive and post a link here.

    To access the System log select Start, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Event Viewer, from the list in the left side of the window expand Windows Logs and select System. Place the cursor on System, select Action from the Menu and Save All Events as (the default evtx file type) and give the file a name. Do the same for the Applications log. Do not provide filtered files. Do not clear logs whilst you have a continuing problem.

    For help with Sky Drive see paragraph 9.3:

    http://www.gerryscomputertips.co.uk/MicrosoftCommunity1.htm

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-02-19T14:16:02+00:00

    Thanks for your response!

    I haven't recently made any hardware or software changes of any significance, my webcam recently stopped working so I uninstalled the drivers for that. About a month ago I bought a new Logitech mouse, but it's just using the same software as my previous mouse.

    My desktop was custom built, so I can't give a make and model, and I don't have my manufacturing receipt available currently so I can't be 100% on every detail, but roughly:

    8GB RAM

    Acpi x64-based pc motherboard

    AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series Graphics Card

    Intel Core i7 Processor

    Looking at your first linked article and breaking down some of the points, a lot of them don't apply, as I have a good connection, good signal strength, other devices have very good speeds. I do not have any malware or viruses and have checked using Kaspersky Internet Security,

    The second linked article focuses on Internet Explorer which I do not generally use - regardless of which browser I use I experience the same eventual slowdown, in Chrome, Firefox or Internet Explorer, and it also affects other services like Steam and browsing the iTunes store. So I don't think making Explorer specific configuration changes will help me.

    My situation is a bit different from just have slow speed in general because when I initally boot my computer my connection speed is quick but it gradually slows down as I use the computer over the course of a couple of hours.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments