Internet gradually slows down

Anonymous
2014-02-18T13:39:39+00:00

I am using a desktop computer with Windows 7. I am connected to the internet via a Netgear wireless router, and recently I have been experiencing a problem where my internet speed gradually slows down and ultimately I am unable to load webpages/internet content through any browser/other software (eg skype calls, dropbox). 

When I initially boot the computer, internet speeds are fine, but the longer I use it the slower my connection gets.

I have many other devices on this network that have no problem with internet speeds - a Mac laptop, a Playstation 3, a 3DS, a Playstation Vita, an iPhone, etc. this problem is isolated to my Windows PC. I assume it is a software or configuration issue as my signal strength is strong (literally three metres away from the router, my computer is relatively new (less than a year), and the problem seems to 'fix' itself when I reboot my computer each time, until the connection starts to slow down again.

What might be the cause of this problem? I'm happy to respond with configuration info on my computer and router if you let me know what is relevant to post.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-04-18T09:33:08+00:00

    Hello Arran,

    Thank you for the reply.

    I appreciate your patience.

    I would suggest you to refer this article and check.

    Refer:

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/network-connection-problem-help#network-problems=windows-7&v1h=win81tab1&v2h=win7tab1&v3h=winvistatab1

    Please keep us posted.

    Thank you

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-04-13T19:53:03+00:00

    I'm having the same issue.

    My old PC, which has been great for over 4 years, started having this issue about a month ago, along with a couple of other issues. I tried resolving but after fixing some of the issues this one remained. I have a gigabit connection over cat6 to my router and then 200mbit/200mbit fibre to the internet.

    So I built a new PC and this problem is there as well. After a recent reboot, or disabling and reenabling the device, Ookla Speedtest shows 200mbit each direction. Over a few hours this will decrease down to as low as 20mbit each way. At the same time my phone, connected by wifi, is still showing full speed (well, as fast as the wifi allows, about 50mbit each way) with no decrease. 

    I'm wondering if it is an issue on the router, as to separate PC builds have had the exact same problem, with reconnecting seeming to correct it. My router is a Huawei provided by Vodafone here in New Zealand. I'll have to see if I can get my hands on another model to see if it makes a difference.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-03-30T22:46:19+00:00

    I am also having this problem.

    At first boot I have 240-250mbit/s download speed and 10-11mbit/s upload speed but that gradually slows down the longer I have the pc turned on, after about 24 hours I was down to 20-25mbit/s.

    I have been in contact with my ISP and they did their best to troubleshoot the problem but it exhausted even their certified network technician's abilities.

    An additional problem that occurs is that when the internet speed has slowed down the PC gets really sluggish when using the maximum available internet bandwidth. When doing a internet speed test windows slows down to about 1 fps. Streaming music sort of works but if I try to stream from Spotify and watch Youtube at the same time the computer slows down and the audio and video starts to skip or stutter rapidly.

    As far as I can tell the computer works fine at these times as long as I don't use a lot of internet bandwidth (I am using heavy 3D modeling and 3D painting applications and they work fine).

    I've tried to hunt any signs of what might be causing the slowdowns, but the performance graph for the CPU and RAM never jumps up to 100% during the slowdowns, or raises any concerns, only the bandwidth graph goes through the roof.

    My specifications are:

    Windows 10 64bit

    Intel i7 6700K

    32GB RAM

    Asus Maximus Hero VIII Motherboard with (ISP asked me to check) onboard Intel I219-V Gigabit ethernet card.

    Nvidia GTX970

    SSD as C:\ drive

    Drivers for graphics card and ethernet card are the latest available and I have the latest windows updates.

    I feel a bit worried since when you have a beefy quad-core hyperthreaded CPU running at 4.0-4.2Ghz and 32GB RAM you wouldn't expect a simple speed test to slow your pc down to a crawl.

    I have monitored my PC temps and neither the motherboard, cpu or gpu ever goes above 30-35 degrees C and no other components get hotter than that either.

    I haven't added any new hardware lately and the pc has been working fine since I built it in january (I think it was january).

    I have also checked so that I don't have any malware, bloatware or unnecessary programs at startup.

    I'm using Bitdefender Total Security.

    Hoping for a quick reply!

    Best regards,

    Dag Lindwall

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-01-22T12:51:51+00:00

    I am connected by 802.11a wifi to router which is wired to cable modem.

    I do not see any ad hoc channels. I do not see other resources like peer to peer using the bandwidth. But changing the ad/hoc b/g channel fixes it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2016-01-21T18:10:02+00:00

    Are you connected via WiFi or Cable? In my case I found out my problem was caused by the Hub I was using to connect my computer via cable. Once I bypassed the hub, the problem went away.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments