Internet gradually slows down

Anonymous
2014-02-18T13:39:39+00:00

I am using a desktop computer with Windows 7. I am connected to the internet via a Netgear wireless router, and recently I have been experiencing a problem where my internet speed gradually slows down and ultimately I am unable to load webpages/internet content through any browser/other software (eg skype calls, dropbox). 

When I initially boot the computer, internet speeds are fine, but the longer I use it the slower my connection gets.

I have many other devices on this network that have no problem with internet speeds - a Mac laptop, a Playstation 3, a 3DS, a Playstation Vita, an iPhone, etc. this problem is isolated to my Windows PC. I assume it is a software or configuration issue as my signal strength is strong (literally three metres away from the router, my computer is relatively new (less than a year), and the problem seems to 'fix' itself when I reboot my computer each time, until the connection starts to slow down again.

What might be the cause of this problem? I'm happy to respond with configuration info on my computer and router if you let me know what is relevant to post.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-02-19T04:33:31+00:00

    Hello Echidnite,

    Thank you for posting your question on Microsoft Community.

    I would like to know some information about the issue so that we could help you better.

    Have you made any hardware or software changes to your computer?

    What is the make and model of your desktop?

    I would suggest you to try following methods and check if it helps.

    Method 1:

    Use this Microsoft help article and check.

    Why is my Internet connection so slow?http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows/why-internet-connection-slow#why-internet-connection-slow=windows-7

    If it does not help, then use article in method 2.

    Method 2:Is Internet Explorer slow? 5 things to try

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/help/internet-explorer/slow-five-tips-to-boost-performance

    Important Notes:

    The Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature might reset security settings or privacy settings that you added to the list of Trusted Sites. The Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature might also reset parental control settings. We recommend that you note these sites before you use the Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature. Resetting Internet Explorer isn't reversible, and all previous settings are lost after reset.

    Any data files that are infected may only be cleaned by deleting the file entirely, which means there is a potential for data loss.

    I hope this information helps.

    Please do let us know if you need any further assistance.

    Thank you

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments