Windows 8.1 Hangs on Start Up

Anonymous
2013-10-28T16:19:35+00:00

Hi

Since I have installed 8.1 ( I was running version 8 previously and upgraded from 7 before that ) when I switch my pc on it starts to boot and then hangs.

It hangs at the point where the dots are spinning in a circle.. just stops completely and I have to hold the power button in to force it to power off and then switch it on again.

When I switch it on it seems to boot fine the 2nd time...

Quite annoying and only started happening with Windows 8.1

Any ideas?

Thanks

Michael

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-08-26T08:27:20+00:00

    Hi good afternoon;

    i tried the above mentioned steps but its showing the following;

    "startup repair could not repair your PC"

    Press advanced options to try other options to repair your PC or "shut downto turn off your PC.

    Log file: C:\WINDOWS\System32\logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-08-26T11:52:41+00:00

    Hi

    Unfortunately that seems to be what happens if your Windows 8 was an upgrade version and you got the 8.1 update via updates (or you don't have the original build disc).

    I had the same thing - I upgraded from Win 7 to Win 8 then of course the 8.1 update was pushed out over the web. I tried repairing the PC as originally suggested and got the same screen.

    Anyway, if you are trying to solve the failed first boot issue then just disable hybrid boot. You don't need to "restore" your PC.

    My PC works fine now.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-08-26T12:03:58+00:00

    I was struggling with this issue for a Long time. The solution for me was to to turn off Fast Startup option,

    as described in this site.

    To disable Fast Startup, follow these simple instructions:

    1. Open the Start screen
    2. type po bu right on the Start screen (short for power buttons). It will bring you directly to the 'Change what the power buttons do' applet in search results. Click it.
    3. The following window will appear on the screen:
    4. Click on the 'Change settings that are currently unavailable' link to make the Shutdown options available.
    5. Untick the Turn on fast startup (enabled) option:

    ![](http://winaero.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/disable-fast-startup-600x544.png)

    That's it. Now the Fast Startup feature is disabled.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-08-26T13:55:18+00:00

    How can i disable hybrid boot?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-08-27T07:51:41+00:00

    How can i disable Hybrid boot?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments