Windows 8.1 Hangs on Start Up

Anonymous
2013-10-28T16:19:35+00:00

Hi

Since I have installed 8.1 ( I was running version 8 previously and upgraded from 7 before that ) when I switch my pc on it starts to boot and then hangs.

It hangs at the point where the dots are spinning in a circle.. just stops completely and I have to hold the power button in to force it to power off and then switch it on again.

When I switch it on it seems to boot fine the 2nd time...

Quite annoying and only started happening with Windows 8.1

Any ideas?

Thanks

Michael

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-01-02T16:49:40+00:00

    Same issue and I don't have the option to disable items on start up thru the control panel as was suggested.

    I was running an upgraded Windows 8, then updated to 8.1 and it freezes with the circles stopping as everyone else has commented.

    I hate when companies put out updates that make their program worse.  People actually get paid to mess things up is an embarrassment to MicroSoft.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-02-15T15:30:01+00:00

    It worked for me...Turned Off Fast Start.  Thanks...John

    System dots would freeze on 1st boot attempt but would work okay on reboot. It seemed to happen after upgrade to Win 8.1

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  4. Anonymous
    2014-04-18T17:53:06+00:00

    Try turning off external drives connected via USB, or unplug anything connected via USB. I have installed 8.1 in a dual boot with Windows 7, and when I try to start 8.1 (with update) the machine always hangs at the teal window until I turn off my external HDD. As soon as I turn off the external drive, Windows immediately finishes loading. I have seen this on other machines running 7, but it does not happen if I choose 7 on my machine.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-06-19T09:57:47+00:00

    Thank you so much for posting this, I have two machines that need a double boot to get going, very helpful :-)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments