I have the same problem.....
Windows 8.1 Hangs on Start Up
Hi
Since I have installed 8.1 ( I was running version 8 previously and upgraded from 7 before that ) when I switch my pc on it starts to boot and then hangs.
It hangs at the point where the dots are spinning in a circle.. just stops completely and I have to hold the power button in to force it to power off and then switch it on again.
When I switch it on it seems to boot fine the 2nd time...
Quite annoying and only started happening with Windows 8.1
Any ideas?
Thanks
Michael
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
49 answers
Sort by: Oldest
-
Anonymous
2013-11-08T20:10:26+00:00 -
Anonymous
2013-11-08T23:28:08+00:00 Hi,
Win 8 and 8.1 have a new feature called Fast Startup. It can sometimes cause problems like you mention as well as others.
The easiest way to tell if this is the problem is to turn it off and see what happens.
This feature only works when you do a SHUTDOWN and then Boot.
It doesn't effect a RESTART.
To turn it off or on...
Go to Control panel...Power Options, and select Choose What the Power Buttons Do on the left.
Then select Change Settings That Are Currently Unavailable near the top center of screen...
Lower down on the window, uncheck Fast Startup.
This may or may not help your problem, but is easy to check.
Disabling Hibernation and etc. will also disable Fast Startup, as the processes are used in Fast Startup...
Crashing the 1st try and working the 2nd is a characteristic of a driver problem when using Fast Startup..
The difficulty is in finding the one causing the problem...
-
Anonymous
2013-11-09T04:33:36+00:00 Hi Slance310,
THANK YOU SO MUCH ! It works. For a week now I tried all sorts of things and I couldn't figure it out. Thank you so much.
A very happy Gaggenau
-
Anonymous
2013-11-23T01:03:44+00:00 I wish that I found the solution earlier, but I am not sure if I have a different solution or if it's just the servers that I downloaded from were just slow. I tried the temp folder and cleared that out and I also tried the wsreset.exe command.... nothing. I have two laptops: both almost identical, except for the software on them (manufactor drivers are the same). First laptop: no issue. Second laptop: 0% downloaded almost all the time. I had various error numbers. If I remember correctly, the most common error for me was 0x800872EE2.
If any of these things I tried worked for certain, I don't know: I removed device drivers for a USB TV tuner (the device was never plugged in) and I also downloaded the optional updates, I think it were the "important" updates. I usually just get the security updates normally. The important updates did fail, but would be installed in steps eventually.
If I had fast startup enabled, I don't know. I never changed that and really didn't care about the startup speed since it seemed good to me. It's when I got that "START" button on 8.1, I was so happy - less steps finally to turn the laptop off.
I hope that this helps someone because I have been trying to update for almost a week now. When the download goes, it goes rather quickly (that of course depends on your ISP).
-
Anonymous
2013-11-23T02:02:44+00:00 Hi Michael,
I had the same problem like you and Gary. I solved the problem by disableing the fast start-up.
Try it out. I wish you good luck.
Gaggenau