Try turning off external drives connected via USB, or unplug anything connected via USB. I have installed 8.1 in a dual boot with Windows 7, and when I try to start 8.1 (with update) the machine always hangs at the teal window until I turn off my external HDD. As soon as I turn off the external drive, Windows immediately finishes loading. I have seen this on other machines running 7, but it does not happen if I choose 7 on my machine.
Windows 8.1 Hangs on Start Up
Hi
Since I have installed 8.1 ( I was running version 8 previously and upgraded from 7 before that ) when I switch my pc on it starts to boot and then hangs.
It hangs at the point where the dots are spinning in a circle.. just stops completely and I have to hold the power button in to force it to power off and then switch it on again.
When I switch it on it seems to boot fine the 2nd time...
Quite annoying and only started happening with Windows 8.1
Any ideas?
Thanks
Michael
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
49 answers
Sort by: Newest
-
Anonymous
2014-04-18T17:53:06+00:00 -
Deleted
This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.
Comments have been turned off. Learn more
-
Anonymous
2014-02-15T15:30:01+00:00 It worked for me...Turned Off Fast Start. Thanks...John
System dots would freeze on 1st boot attempt but would work okay on reboot. It seemed to happen after upgrade to Win 8.1
-
Anonymous
2014-01-02T16:49:40+00:00 Same issue and I don't have the option to disable items on start up thru the control panel as was suggested.
I was running an upgraded Windows 8, then updated to 8.1 and it freezes with the circles stopping as everyone else has commented.
I hate when companies put out updates that make their program worse. People actually get paid to mess things up is an embarrassment to MicroSoft.
-
Anonymous
2013-12-21T10:26:01+00:00 Hi Mahesh
I'm afraid your instructions won't work for anyone who upgraded from Windows 8 - I've had exactly the same issue as the others on this forum only after upgrading to 8.1 with a single boot system on an HP DV6 laptop with AMD Athlon II. I tried to repair Windows, but it gave a message saying files were missing and to use the original DVD and since I only have Windows 8 on DVD, I had to go back to Windows 8 first and everything was working fine until the Windows 8.1 upgrade notice came and then the problem reappeared after the 8.1 upgrade had been completed.
I'm wondering if this is an AMD CPU related issue - I am running an Intel i3 (Ivy Bridge) based Zotac Zbox with Win8.1 as a media PC with my TV and everything has been fine after the 8.1 upgrade.
However, as far as I'm concerned, it is still a Win 8.1 problem regardless of the workaround suggested. The software should "just work"!!
Another curious problem with Windows 8.1 is that Soundforge Pro 10e (which is ofiically Windows 8 certified and was running fine until the upgrade) had to be reinstalled as the OS 8.1 program manager advised (after the 8.1 upgrade install) that it wouldn't work until this was done. A lot of productivity time has been lost whilst I sorted out these issues.
I'm going back to Windows 7 - simply not good enough Microsoft!
Regards
Anthony