Windows 8.1 Hangs on Start Up

Anonymous
2013-10-28T16:19:35+00:00

Hi

Since I have installed 8.1 ( I was running version 8 previously and upgraded from 7 before that ) when I switch my pc on it starts to boot and then hangs.

It hangs at the point where the dots are spinning in a circle.. just stops completely and I have to hold the power button in to force it to power off and then switch it on again.

When I switch it on it seems to boot fine the 2nd time...

Quite annoying and only started happening with Windows 8.1

Any ideas?

Thanks

Michael

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-10-29T22:12:31+00:00

    Hi

    Since I have installed 8.1 ( I was running version 8 previously and upgraded from 7 before that ) when I switch my pc on it starts to boot and then hangs.

    It hangs at the point where the dots are spinning in a circle.. just stops completely and I have to hold the power button in to force it to power off and then switch it on again.

    When I switch it on it seems to boot fine the 2nd time...

    Quite annoying and only started happening with Windows 8.1

    Any ideas?

    Thanks

    Michael

    This same thing happens to me.  I upgraded from Vista to 8 then 8.1 on a Toshiba laptop.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-09-18T11:23:27+00:00

    Nope this doesn't work for me. I still have the same problem. Wish I had sticked with Windows 7.

    Also I find it shocking that Microsoft does not even reply to these questions to try to help the users.

    While the users try to solve the problems themselves.

    Thanks Microsoft.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-09-18T11:20:21+00:00

    Nope this doesn't work for me. I still have the same problem. Wish I had sticked with Windows 7.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-09-13T09:32:57+00:00

    Believe me this problem drove me crazy, I had microsoft engineers link up 3 times with my laptop to try and fix it. Help is here, switch off the fast start up - ok my pc went from about 15 seconds to start to around a minute but this I can live with. HOW

    • the easiest way for me because my pc know how is limited - tap the power button like when you go to close/switch off your pc - in there with all the other things like hibernate etc is blue power button settings, - tap this it opens  system settings, in blue writing it says, Change Settings That Are Currently Unavailable click this - at the bottom tick the box to turn off fast start up and press save changes. This worked for me hope it works for you too.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-08-27T07:51:41+00:00

    How can i disable Hybrid boot?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments