Windows 8.1 Hangs on Start Up

Anonymous
2013-10-28T16:19:35+00:00

Hi

Since I have installed 8.1 ( I was running version 8 previously and upgraded from 7 before that ) when I switch my pc on it starts to boot and then hangs.

It hangs at the point where the dots are spinning in a circle.. just stops completely and I have to hold the power button in to force it to power off and then switch it on again.

When I switch it on it seems to boot fine the 2nd time...

Quite annoying and only started happening with Windows 8.1

Any ideas?

Thanks

Michael

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-04-17T11:43:53+00:00

    I turned fast boot off. But anyways, I just wanted to mention the thing with the PSU in case someone else has the problem.

    Also I am going to reinstall my laptop with win10 in some weeks to get even more trouble with the driver :D

    Cheers

    Stephan

    Btw.

    The problem seems to been gone for the moment after I uninstalled the Visual Studio 2k15 Preview

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-04-14T01:54:49+00:00

    Hi,

    Did you just turn off Hibernate, or Fast Startup, or both...

    It kind of sounds like there is something loading differently on Battery then when plugged in...

    Or at least loading at different settings... My guess would be graphics drivers, but that is just a guess...

    Does your machine have switchable graphics ? A GPU plus a NVidia or AMD chip for instance...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-04-13T18:50:49+00:00

    Hi,

    also after deactivating the hibernate mode in the power options I still get this problem.

    But in my case, lenovo T500, I can avoid it by disconnecting the PSU, so there must be some problem with a driver?!?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-02-21T17:30:30+00:00

    I had this problem with my pc running windows 8.1 x64

    intel i7 4820 3.79GHZ 16gb ddr3 pc 1600 128gb ssd = 1Tb wd h/d. asus rampage iv  black m/b

    I tried everything, I cured it by removing any wiring which was not supplied with the motherboard. i.e power splitting leads etc. now starts perfectly every time.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2015-02-21T15:52:32+00:00

    Hi,

    That seems strange... were you using the installed version, or the portable one that just runs ?

    Were you using CoreTemps settings to load with Windows, or a Scheduled Task ?

    I am running an Intel i7, and have 4 temps showing on my tray\taskbar...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments