Same problem. The little spinner starts up then freezes - only after upgrading from windows 8 to 8.1
I have a AMD Phenom 9950 Quad Core 2.6
8 GB ram
64 bit
It starts on the second attempt after pressing and holding the start button.
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
Hi
Since I have installed 8.1 ( I was running version 8 previously and upgraded from 7 before that ) when I switch my pc on it starts to boot and then hangs.
It hangs at the point where the dots are spinning in a circle.. just stops completely and I have to hold the power button in to force it to power off and then switch it on again.
When I switch it on it seems to boot fine the 2nd time...
Quite annoying and only started happening with Windows 8.1
Any ideas?
Thanks
Michael
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Same problem. The little spinner starts up then freezes - only after upgrading from windows 8 to 8.1
I have a AMD Phenom 9950 Quad Core 2.6
8 GB ram
64 bit
It starts on the second attempt after pressing and holding the start button.
Hi Mahesh
I am having the same issues as described by lankygary in the above message.
I have a Inspiron Desktop 546MT
I have run startup repair from a USB drive and no issues where found.
There are no error messages, just hangs, has to be powered off and then restarted. The second time it boots without any errors or issues.
Thanks
Michael
I am having what appears to be exactly the same issue, and I also previously upgraded from Windows 7. On start-up a black screen with a small blue window (windows updating?) appears, and then the spinning dots just freeze. The PC starts up OK after rebooting a second time.
I tried the start up repair but this said it was unable to fix the problem.
I've got a Dell Inspiron 586. I don't get any error messages.
Thanks
Gary
Hi Michael,
Troubleshooting startup problems can be difficult because every PC is set up differently. Drivers, conflicts with other programs, malware, and memory can all cause startup problems. Startup repair can detect and fix problems that prevent your PC from starting.
Try this:
Startup repair should automatically start on its own and try to fix the problem. If Startup Repair doesn’t start on its own, here’s how to open the System Recovery Options menu:
a. Remove all floppy disks, CDs, and DVDs from your computer; swipe from the right or press the Windows + C keys to open the Charms bar. In the search box type advanced options and select change advanced startup options. Select restart now from the under advanced startup.
b. Do one of the following:
- If your computer has a single operating system, Chose an option will appear.
- If your computer has more than one operation system, use the arrow keys to highlight the operating system you want to repair, and then Chose an option will appear.
c. On choose an option screen, tap or click on Troubleshoot, Advanced options, and then Startup Repair.
d. Follow the on-screen instructions.
Hope this helps. If you have any further queries/issues related to Windows, write to us and we will be glad to assist you further.