Windows 8.1 Hangs on Start Up

Anonymous
2013-10-28T16:19:35+00:00

Hi

Since I have installed 8.1 ( I was running version 8 previously and upgraded from 7 before that ) when I switch my pc on it starts to boot and then hangs.

It hangs at the point where the dots are spinning in a circle.. just stops completely and I have to hold the power button in to force it to power off and then switch it on again.

When I switch it on it seems to boot fine the 2nd time...

Quite annoying and only started happening with Windows 8.1

Any ideas?

Thanks

Michael

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-10-04T19:27:45+00:00

    I have had this with my brand new hp laptop on windows 8.1 and 10.

    Restoring for the 5th time back to windows 8.1

    Have sent the laptop off to hp 2 times and still same problem so obviously its a software problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-10-02T21:36:37+00:00

    Good news - Windows 10 does NOT have the same problem! The 2009 vintage laptop I had that suffered from this problem (which was fixed by turning off hybrid boot), worked perfectly after Windows 10 was pushed out.

    Windows 10 is noticeably snappier on older machines and I don't think you'll be disappointed if you pull the trigger on the upgrade.

    One warning - Homegroup got screwed up BADLY so that machines could join, but not see each other. I had to remove all machines from the Homegroup. However, as long as even ONE Windows 7 machine is still referenced in the Homegroup (even if you no longer have it), if you use the same password, you will get this problem.

    The fix is to remove all machines from the Homegroup, create a new Homegroup and make sure you don't use the same password you used before!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-10-01T16:21:57+00:00

    Had the same problem, upgrade from WIN8 to 8.1. Turned off Fast Boot & now boots on the 1st try. Not planning on upgrading to Windows 10 if the same problem exists & has not been resolved. Also do not like the idea that they force Windows Updates to installing  WIN10, since we all know these can cause problems & are not thoroughly tested

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-09-01T22:25:47+00:00

    I'm still facing this issue in windows 10 coming from 8.1

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2015-04-21T01:44:42+00:00

    I have a Surface Pro 3 i5 and 8GB of ram and the same problem.

    I've tried turning off fast start up with no change.

    I have been on the phone with Microsoft multiple times, no change.

    The Microsoft store even replaced my Surface and no change.

    It is driving me nuts. I spent a lot of money, and expect the damn thing to start up the first time.

    Another note, when it is stuck on the sign in screen with the rolling dots, the back of my Surface gets pretty warm like when it is in heavy use.

    I've just given up and I'm now waiting for Windows 10. I have high hopes this will solve the problem. Knowing Microsoft though, who knows?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments