Windows 8.1 Hangs on Start Up

Anonymous
2013-10-28T16:19:35+00:00

Hi

Since I have installed 8.1 ( I was running version 8 previously and upgraded from 7 before that ) when I switch my pc on it starts to boot and then hangs.

It hangs at the point where the dots are spinning in a circle.. just stops completely and I have to hold the power button in to force it to power off and then switch it on again.

When I switch it on it seems to boot fine the 2nd time...

Quite annoying and only started happening with Windows 8.1

Any ideas?

Thanks

Michael

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-11-01T15:44:04+00:00

    It might be because the power button is set to power off instead of sleep more common on desktops than laptops.  Not to worry though glad my solution has been of help.  

    Scott

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-11-01T11:07:46+00:00

    Thanks for the workaround.

    I followed the link and disabled hybrid boot and all is fine.

    By the way before I did that I tries pressing the power button once but it didn't work for mw

    Thanks

    Gary

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-11-01T09:59:56+00:00

    Perfect!  Thank you this has cured the problem.  I too have a SSD and just upgraded to 8.1

    Thanks for the info - surely MS would have found this in beta testing?  Seems fairly basic.

    Terry

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-10-31T22:37:50+00:00

    After a week of only starting on every other boot, my windows 8.1 computer has now given up the ghost, it freezes on startup every time.

    The circle of dots doesn't spin, although when I hit the power off key, the dots spin by about 1 or 2 frames.  Never seen anything like that before in my life.

    Digital download, and no backup disks, so I'm left with a £300 brick..  Thanks Microsoft..

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-10-30T15:10:13+00:00

    Hi Mahesh,

    Any update on this?

    Not sure what to do next?

    Is this a bug in 8.1? Looks like this affecting a number of people?

    Thanks

    Michael

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments