Unable to rename or move folders. "The file or folder does not exist."

Anonymous
2013-11-25T07:59:33+00:00

I am currently unable to rename or move folders in Windows 8.1.

I'll right-click the folder and enter a new name, then I'll receive the following error: "Can't find the specified file. Make sure you specify the correct path and file name." Clicking "Try Again" will result in another error: "The file or folder does not exist."

Attempting to move the folder either by dragging or cutting-and-pasting will also result in the first error.

Additional notes:

  • This problem occurs when attempting to rename or move any folder on either of my two hard drives, as well as on any USB drives or network drives connected to my PC.
  • The problem only occurs when renaming or moving folders. I can rename or move files just fine. I can also copy-and-paste folders just fine.
  • I am logged in as an Administrator. The problem occurs regardless of which account I am logged into. It also occurs in safe mode.
  • This problem is happening on both of my PCs. They have both been running Windows 8.1 since its release. As far as I know, the problem only began today. (11/24/13)
  • Rebooting does not solve the problem. Scanning with AVG Free, Windows Defender, and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware revealed 0 threats to my PC.
  • I am able to rename folders just fine from the Command Prompt.
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-04-02T21:54:14+00:00

Did you find a solution? I have the same problem

This worked for me, although it's a bit of a kluge:

  1. Remove (or rename) the following 5 Registry keys from HKLM\Software\Microsoft\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FolderDescriptions:
  • {2112AB0A-C86A-4ffe-A368-0DE96E47012E}
  • {491E922F-5643-4af4-A7EB-4E7A138D8174}
  • {7b0db17d-9cd2-4a93-9733-46cc89022e7c}
  • {A302545D-DEFF-464b-ABE8-61C8648D939B}
  • {A990AE9F-A03B-4e80-94BC-9912D7504104}
  1. Hide desktop Libraries icon by adding/setting the following 4 Registry keys:
  • [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\NewStartPanel]

"{031E4825-7B94-4DC3-B131-E946B44C8DD5}"=dword:00000001

  • [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\ClassicStartMenu]

"{031E4825-7B94-4DC3-B131-E946B44C8DD5}"=dword:00000001

  • [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\NewStartPanel]

"{031E4825-7B94-4DC3-B131-E946B44C8DD5}"=dword:00000001

  • [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\ClassicStartMenu]

"{031E4825-7B94-4DC3-B131-E946B44C8DD5}"=dword:00000001

Was this answer helpful?

50+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2015-04-24T07:44:31+00:00

In my case, I downloaded the pack of default registry entry and applied the Default Folder.reg.  Once I had reset the windows default for opening Folders my issue of rename and cut resulting in The file or folder does not exist. resolved instantly.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/10570-file-extensions-hide-show.html

Was this answer helpful?

3 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-04-02T19:04:45+00:00

    Did you find a solution? I have the same problem

    Unfortunately no, this problem is still ongoing on one of two of my Windows 8.1 PCs.

    I went ahead and did a full re-installation of Windows 8.1 on my main PC because the issue was getting in the way of my productivity. It fixed the problem, but reinstalling everything from scratch is obviously a last resort...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-04-02T23:51:27+00:00

    Jon,

    I went ahead and followed your instructions and the fix worked! A million thanks! This solves an annoyance that has been plaguing me for nearly five months now; I'd pretty much given up all hope.

    Again, can't thank you enough! Feels great to have this bug behind me already.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-08-31T00:00:17+00:00

    Did you find a solution? I have the same problem

    Try to import this registry file. It will restore the default folder settings. Works fine for me. Please also consider to make a restore point, just in case. You can download it here

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments