Unable to rename or move folders. "The file or folder does not exist."

Anonymous
2013-11-25T07:59:33+00:00

I am currently unable to rename or move folders in Windows 8.1.

I'll right-click the folder and enter a new name, then I'll receive the following error: "Can't find the specified file. Make sure you specify the correct path and file name." Clicking "Try Again" will result in another error: "The file or folder does not exist."

Attempting to move the folder either by dragging or cutting-and-pasting will also result in the first error.

Additional notes:

  • This problem occurs when attempting to rename or move any folder on either of my two hard drives, as well as on any USB drives or network drives connected to my PC.
  • The problem only occurs when renaming or moving folders. I can rename or move files just fine. I can also copy-and-paste folders just fine.
  • I am logged in as an Administrator. The problem occurs regardless of which account I am logged into. It also occurs in safe mode.
  • This problem is happening on both of my PCs. They have both been running Windows 8.1 since its release. As far as I know, the problem only began today. (11/24/13)
  • Rebooting does not solve the problem. Scanning with AVG Free, Windows Defender, and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware revealed 0 threats to my PC.
  • I am able to rename folders just fine from the Command Prompt.
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-04-02T21:54:14+00:00

Did you find a solution? I have the same problem

This worked for me, although it's a bit of a kluge:

  1. Remove (or rename) the following 5 Registry keys from HKLM\Software\Microsoft\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FolderDescriptions:
  • {2112AB0A-C86A-4ffe-A368-0DE96E47012E}
  • {491E922F-5643-4af4-A7EB-4E7A138D8174}
  • {7b0db17d-9cd2-4a93-9733-46cc89022e7c}
  • {A302545D-DEFF-464b-ABE8-61C8648D939B}
  • {A990AE9F-A03B-4e80-94BC-9912D7504104}
  1. Hide desktop Libraries icon by adding/setting the following 4 Registry keys:
  • [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\NewStartPanel]

"{031E4825-7B94-4DC3-B131-E946B44C8DD5}"=dword:00000001

  • [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\ClassicStartMenu]

"{031E4825-7B94-4DC3-B131-E946B44C8DD5}"=dword:00000001

  • [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\NewStartPanel]

"{031E4825-7B94-4DC3-B131-E946B44C8DD5}"=dword:00000001

  • [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\ClassicStartMenu]

"{031E4825-7B94-4DC3-B131-E946B44C8DD5}"=dword:00000001

Was this answer helpful?

50+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2015-04-24T07:44:31+00:00

In my case, I downloaded the pack of default registry entry and applied the Default Folder.reg.  Once I had reset the windows default for opening Folders my issue of rename and cut resulting in The file or folder does not exist. resolved instantly.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/10570-file-extensions-hide-show.html

Was this answer helpful?

3 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-09-27T15:13:17+00:00

    Hi Frosty,

    Thank you once again for the reply.

    I am glad to know that the issue got fixed.

    Feel free to write to us if you have any issues related to Windows.

    Hi

    Thanks for your response, but the issue hasn't really been fixed, It's just that I have been able to carry on by not installing the latest "optional" Windows update. - which I would have liked to install. to keep my PC up to date! And it is quite possible that future Windows updates might also cause the problem to come back...

    Frosty

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-09-27T12:25:45+00:00

    Hi Frosty,

    Thank you once again for the reply.

    I am glad to know that the issue got fixed.

    Feel free to write to us if you have any issues related to Windows.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-09-27T00:55:46+00:00

    Hi Frosty,

    Thank you for the reply.

    On the View Update page you will see an option Installed updates on the top right hand side corner. Click on that it will show you another list of installed updates. Look at the picture given below.

    Click on Installed Update you will get list of updates installed and right click to uninstalled an update.

    Hi

    Thanks very much for your help, but no luck. I uninstalled KB2984006 and everything was fine again. I then retried downloading KB2984006 using a "clean boot", but the original problem with renaming/moving folders re-occurred, so I restored my computer back again.

    Luckily the KB2984006 update is optional not critical, so I am okay for now!

    Thanks

    Frosty

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments