Unable to rename or move folders. "The file or folder does not exist."

Anonymous
2013-11-25T07:59:33+00:00

I am currently unable to rename or move folders in Windows 8.1.

I'll right-click the folder and enter a new name, then I'll receive the following error: "Can't find the specified file. Make sure you specify the correct path and file name." Clicking "Try Again" will result in another error: "The file or folder does not exist."

Attempting to move the folder either by dragging or cutting-and-pasting will also result in the first error.

Additional notes:

  • This problem occurs when attempting to rename or move any folder on either of my two hard drives, as well as on any USB drives or network drives connected to my PC.
  • The problem only occurs when renaming or moving folders. I can rename or move files just fine. I can also copy-and-paste folders just fine.
  • I am logged in as an Administrator. The problem occurs regardless of which account I am logged into. It also occurs in safe mode.
  • This problem is happening on both of my PCs. They have both been running Windows 8.1 since its release. As far as I know, the problem only began today. (11/24/13)
  • Rebooting does not solve the problem. Scanning with AVG Free, Windows Defender, and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware revealed 0 threats to my PC.
  • I am able to rename folders just fine from the Command Prompt.
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-04-02T21:54:14+00:00

Did you find a solution? I have the same problem

This worked for me, although it's a bit of a kluge:

  1. Remove (or rename) the following 5 Registry keys from HKLM\Software\Microsoft\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FolderDescriptions:
  • {2112AB0A-C86A-4ffe-A368-0DE96E47012E}
  • {491E922F-5643-4af4-A7EB-4E7A138D8174}
  • {7b0db17d-9cd2-4a93-9733-46cc89022e7c}
  • {A302545D-DEFF-464b-ABE8-61C8648D939B}
  • {A990AE9F-A03B-4e80-94BC-9912D7504104}
  1. Hide desktop Libraries icon by adding/setting the following 4 Registry keys:
  • [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\NewStartPanel]

"{031E4825-7B94-4DC3-B131-E946B44C8DD5}"=dword:00000001

  • [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\ClassicStartMenu]

"{031E4825-7B94-4DC3-B131-E946B44C8DD5}"=dword:00000001

  • [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\NewStartPanel]

"{031E4825-7B94-4DC3-B131-E946B44C8DD5}"=dword:00000001

  • [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\ClassicStartMenu]

"{031E4825-7B94-4DC3-B131-E946B44C8DD5}"=dword:00000001

Was this answer helpful?

50+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2015-04-24T07:44:31+00:00

In my case, I downloaded the pack of default registry entry and applied the Default Folder.reg.  Once I had reset the windows default for opening Folders my issue of rename and cut resulting in The file or folder does not exist. resolved instantly.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/10570-file-extensions-hide-show.html

Was this answer helpful?

3 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-11-07T05:59:54+00:00

    Unfortunately it does not work in my case of Win 8.1.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-11-06T16:26:03+00:00

    Okay! For anyone who has this issue, here's a possible workaround:

    Go to settings->personalization->Compositions (themes)->themes settings and change theme from "Windows" to "Windows 10".

    It works for some of people just enough. In Win8 you'll probably need just to change the theme to default.

    In case it won't work for you, here's a effortless solution:

    Open notepad. Paste this:

    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 

    [-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FolderDescriptions{2112AB0A-C86A-4ffe-A368-0DE96E47012E}]

    [-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FolderDescriptions{491E922F-5643-4af4-A7EB-4E7A138D8174}]

    [-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FolderDescriptions{7b0db17d-9cd2-4a93-9733-46cc89022e7c}]

    [-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FolderDescriptions{A302545D-DEFF-464b-ABE8-61C8648D939B}]

    [-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FolderDescriptions{A990AE9F-A03B-4e80-94BC-9912D7504104}]

    Save as "All Files (*.*)" and put the name Folder.reg. Destination does not matter. Copy it to your C: (just root of C:, so path will be C:\Folder.reg). You'll need the administrator rights.

    Open notepad again and paste this:

    regedit /s "C:\Folder.reg"

    Save as "All Files (*.*)" and put the name folder.bat. Destination does not matter. Copy it to your C: (just like above, root path, so it will be C:\folder.bat). You'll need, of course, administrator rights.

    As you have these two files in C:, the tricky part comes. Hit Winkey+R, enter regedit. Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run. Right-click (mouse) on the right side and choose New->String Value (REG_SZ). Name it as you want it to be presented in the Taskmgr "startup" section. Double click this value and enter in the box

    "C:\folder.bat"

    Click "OK", so the value will be saved. Close the regedit.

    First time to solve a problem, you could manually click the C:\Folder.reg file and click "Yes" when it ask you if you want to insert these changes to the registry.

    If everything went OK, created .REG file will be applied every time you log in to your Windows account. So, probably, you won't need to apply these registry changes manually again. I know it's just a workaround, but at least works fine for me.

    In Windows 10 changes are immediate, no reboot needed. I know this solution could possibly work for Win 8 and 8.1.

    I was pissed off of all these "can't change folder name. Path doesn't exist" so I managed to get rid of it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-10-17T18:15:12+00:00

    Again, but Win10 x64, same issue. Registry fixes had helped, but only temprorarily. Are there any PERMANENT fixes, because I think I'm using beta as free tester since 8.1?!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments