Unable to rename or move folders. "The file or folder does not exist."

Anonymous
2013-11-25T07:59:33+00:00

I am currently unable to rename or move folders in Windows 8.1.

I'll right-click the folder and enter a new name, then I'll receive the following error: "Can't find the specified file. Make sure you specify the correct path and file name." Clicking "Try Again" will result in another error: "The file or folder does not exist."

Attempting to move the folder either by dragging or cutting-and-pasting will also result in the first error.

Additional notes:

  • This problem occurs when attempting to rename or move any folder on either of my two hard drives, as well as on any USB drives or network drives connected to my PC.
  • The problem only occurs when renaming or moving folders. I can rename or move files just fine. I can also copy-and-paste folders just fine.
  • I am logged in as an Administrator. The problem occurs regardless of which account I am logged into. It also occurs in safe mode.
  • This problem is happening on both of my PCs. They have both been running Windows 8.1 since its release. As far as I know, the problem only began today. (11/24/13)
  • Rebooting does not solve the problem. Scanning with AVG Free, Windows Defender, and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware revealed 0 threats to my PC.
  • I am able to rename folders just fine from the Command Prompt.
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-04-02T21:54:14+00:00

Did you find a solution? I have the same problem

This worked for me, although it's a bit of a kluge:

  1. Remove (or rename) the following 5 Registry keys from HKLM\Software\Microsoft\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FolderDescriptions:
  • {2112AB0A-C86A-4ffe-A368-0DE96E47012E}
  • {491E922F-5643-4af4-A7EB-4E7A138D8174}
  • {7b0db17d-9cd2-4a93-9733-46cc89022e7c}
  • {A302545D-DEFF-464b-ABE8-61C8648D939B}
  • {A990AE9F-A03B-4e80-94BC-9912D7504104}
  1. Hide desktop Libraries icon by adding/setting the following 4 Registry keys:
  • [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\NewStartPanel]

"{031E4825-7B94-4DC3-B131-E946B44C8DD5}"=dword:00000001

  • [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\ClassicStartMenu]

"{031E4825-7B94-4DC3-B131-E946B44C8DD5}"=dword:00000001

  • [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\NewStartPanel]

"{031E4825-7B94-4DC3-B131-E946B44C8DD5}"=dword:00000001

  • [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\ClassicStartMenu]

"{031E4825-7B94-4DC3-B131-E946B44C8DD5}"=dword:00000001

Was this answer helpful?

50+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2015-04-24T07:44:31+00:00

In my case, I downloaded the pack of default registry entry and applied the Default Folder.reg.  Once I had reset the windows default for opening Folders my issue of rename and cut resulting in The file or folder does not exist. resolved instantly.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/10570-file-extensions-hide-show.html

Was this answer helpful?

3 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-11-12T14:24:23+00:00

    Jon's answer was pretty close.  Here's the easiest way to fix the problem.

    Copy and paste the following into notepad and save it on your desktop as "FixFolders.reg".  (delete the dashes) Then run the FixFolders.reg from your desktop and restart.  Fixed it for me!


    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons]

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\ClassicStartMenu]

    "{031E4825-7B94-4DC3-B131-E946B44C8DD5}"=dword:00000001

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\NewStartPanel]

    "{031E4825-7B94-4DC3-B131-E946B44C8DD5}"=dword:00000001

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons]

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\ClassicStartMenu]

    "{031E4825-7B94-4DC3-B131-E946B44C8DD5}"=dword:00000001

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\NewStartPanel]

    "{031E4825-7B94-4DC3-B131-E946B44C8DD5}"=dword:00000001

    [-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FolderDescriptions{2112AB0A-C86A-4ffe-A368-0DE96E47012E}]

    [-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FolderDescriptions{7b0db17d-9cd2-4a93-9733-46cc89022e7c}]

    [-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FolderDescriptions{A302545D-DEFF-464b-ABE8-61C8648D939B}]

    [-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FolderDescriptions{A990AE9F-A03B-4e80-94BC-9912D7504104}]


    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-11-07T22:21:08+00:00

    As far as of 2014-Nov-07 (today), I got the same bug!

    First, I don't know how Jon999... found out those five specific registry keys, like five needles in a haystack, but thank you for your effort and publishing the solution. THANKS!

    Then I must say I've been using Classic Shell and WinAero for some time without a glitch. Can't tell about updates, I load them regularly and 2911106 is not listed in Control Panel as instaled.

    Also ran SFC /scannow and it found corrupted files (didn't tell exactly what and didn't offered to display the log, one ms' way is not a one-click, one-stop solution way).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-10-24T13:17:45+00:00

    Hi Frosty,

    I apologize for the delay in reply. If you face this issue I would suggest you to Reset Windows Update Components and try installing the update follow the steps given in the link given below.

    How do I reset Windows Update components?

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058/en-us

    Note: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base. How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/en-us   

    You can follow the steps given in the link below for reference.

    Hi

    I finally decided this problem had me beaten so opted to do a full reinstall of Windows 8 and then to Windows 8.1 instead. I am pleased to say that everything now seems fine and files / folder renaming is working just as it should be.  The latest Windows update and "optional" fix have also installed and worked without any problem.

    I probably should have done this earlier on, but I was lazily hoping the Refresh had worked and I could avoid the near 24 hours that the process of backing up and reinstalling everything took!!

    Anyway, many thanks for responding.

    Frosty

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments