SkyDrive Sync Engine Host

Anonymous
2013-10-19T14:50:56+00:00

So far the update to Windows 8.1 has gone very well. I have, however, noticed an issue on ONE of my PCs that's been updated.

The SkyDrive Sync Engine Host process in Task Manager is constantly consuming 12 - 15% of the CPU. Now all of my files that I've chosen to sync have already synced properly. The 'Size' and 'Size on Disk' match for all of the folders I've marked to sync offline.

I've rebooted the PC and, upon restart, the process goes right back in to its CPU consumption.

I will note, that even though the CPU consumption is up, the Network Utilization is not. So it can't be constantly downloading or uploading anything since it's not using the network.

Any ideas as to why this is happening and how I can fix it?

Thanks in advance.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-03-24T20:08:12+00:00

    After hours of searching etc. I found the fix or at least for me.

    Go to your "Task Manager" and close both SkyDrive services.

    Next, go to Windows Explorer and navigate to:

    C:\Users%USER%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\SkyDrive

    Delete the "SkyDrive" folder after backing up your SkyDrive date elsewhere. (just encase.  This is just a settings folder but any corrupted files will go missing after this.

    Do this t all computers using the same account.  Takes a few minutes or so depending on your account size.  It will start with nothing then quickly fill in with all your files from the cloud.

    Note: %USER% is replaced with your windows login; you will recognize I when you get to the user folder area i.e. C:\Users\

    Hope this helps.  :)

    My problem: the SkyDrive App was uploading a few hundred music files, but was stuck on one of them. I had no way that I could cancel the uploading, so I followed the steps in RACoutu's post:

    and then opened the SkyDrive app again. All my files came back, and everything appears to be working wonderfully.

    Thank you, thank you, thank you.

    Note: I am only using SkyDrive with my Asus T100. Also, I did not go to the SkyDrive website at all. Everything was done from the desktop and metro/modern environment.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  3. Anonymous
    2014-03-23T14:13:27+00:00

    After hours of searching etc. I found the fix or at least for me.

    Go to your "Task Manager" and close both SkyDrive services.

    Next, go to Windows Explorer and navigate to:

    C:\Users%USER%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\SkyDrive

    Delete the "SkyDrive" folder after backing up your SkyDrive date elsewhere. (just encase.  This is just a settings folder but any corrupted files will go missing after this.

    Do this t all computers using the same account.  Takes a few minutes or so depending on your account size.  It will start with nothing then quickly fill in with all your files from the cloud.

    Note: %USER% is replaced with your windows login; you will recognize I when you get to the user folder area i.e. C:\Users\

    Hope this helps.  :)

    Thank you good sir! After one year it is now finally working properly!!!

    Thank you!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-03-13T21:53:37+00:00

    thnx danielgr, I have tried all of those things and unfortunately the problem comes back intermittently and always after a reboot.

    I think for some the troubleshooter or killing the process is only a temporary solution. Has anybody found another solution yet?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-03-13T13:42:05+00:00

    Have you tried to:

    1. Get all available updates from Windows Update
    2. Kill the Skydrive processes (there are two, one for files sync and the other for settings)
    3. Delete the AppData\Microsoft\Windows\Skydrive folder (all of it)
    4. Delete your Skydrive folder (or move its contents to a different location if you are not sure you have everything on the cloud)
    5. Run the Skydrive Troubleshooter I posted above

    ?

    If not, give it a try, just in case :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments