Windows 8.1 Surface Shuts Down instead of sleep

Anonymous
2013-10-19T07:38:25+00:00

Since upgrading to 8.1 my Surface Pro will reboot when it should have gone into Sleep mode.... not every time, but if the machine has not been used for a while (e.g. over an hour or so). Prior to the upgrade it was very reliable.


For example, this morning the following messages were in my Event Viewer

The previous system shutdown at 20:18:39 on ‎18/‎10/‎2013 was unexpected.

Windows failed to resume from hibernate with error status 0xC0000411.

The message previous to this was...

The system has returned from a low power state.

Sleep Time: ‎2013‎-‎10‎-‎18T18:00:59.127876100Z

Wake Time: ‎2013‎-‎10‎-‎18T19:08:25.476268900Z

Wake Source: Power Button

Sleep mode was entered at 19:01, not mains connected, but battery fully charged (and still charged in the morning).

Any ideas?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-01-01T03:39:21+00:00

    I had that happen also. Hard to pin down.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-01-02T05:04:35+00:00

    I had that happen also. Hard to pin down.

    how did you solve it?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-01-02T09:20:55+00:00

    I have no idea if this will help, but since turning on all of the Shut-down settings in Control Panel/Power Options/ System Settings and removing my keyboard I have not had this problem EXCEPT when I have restarted due to MS updates being applied. I also hit it the one time I mentioned previously, when I had been in a long meeting with no internet connection. Maybe all a coincidence, just really hard to work out what triggers this thing. I never reboot unless I have to. Also, unless I hit the power button, it never hibernates itself. If I hibernate manually, it will error....guaranteed! I always have Outlook and a web browser running, so maybe these are keeping it 'live'?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-01-31T01:29:31+00:00

    Before I go into what I think fixes this issue, I am going to knock on wood, and say that it has been working flawlessly for the last three days.  Before then, EVERYTIME I started my Surface Pro, it would crash coming out of hibernation. So here goes...

    Out of frustration, I starting the Troubleshooting control panel applet, and went through all options. Being the last option, I finally come across some corruption in my Windows Update database. I apologize, but I forgot the exact error code it gave...  However, the troubleshooter said it fixed the issue, so I rebooted my Surface manually.  Next, I went to the Windows Update applet, and clicked on Check Now.  To my surprise, there is was...  A System Update from 1/15/2014. I installed the update and rebooted, and the issue hasn't occurred since...  You may want to see if this update is missing, and if so, maybe these steps may help you get the System Update from 1/15/2014 to show up in the list of missing updates.

    I never thought there was anything wrong with my update database because Windows Defender and other updates were always found...

    HTH

    Shane

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-01-31T01:47:00+00:00

    Before I go into what I think fixes this issue, I am going to knock on wood, and say that it has been working flawlessly for the last three days.  Before then, EVERYTIME I started my Surface Pro, it would crash coming out of hibernation. So here goes...

    Out of frustration, I starting the Troubleshooting control panel applet, and went through all options. Being the last option, I finally come across some corruption in my Windows Update database. I apologize, but I forgot the exact error code it gave...  However, the troubleshooter said it fixed the issue, so I rebooted my Surface manually.  Next, I went to the Windows Update applet, and clicked on Check Now.  To my surprise, there is was...  A System Update from 1/15/2014. I installed the update and rebooted, and the issue hasn't occurred since...  You may want to see if this update is missing, and if so, maybe these steps may help you get the System Update from 1/15/2014 to show up in the list of missing updates.

    I never thought there was anything wrong with my update database because Windows Defender and other updates were always found...

    HTH

    Shane

    Hi Shane, it looks like I had database corruption as well. The error code was as follows:

    "Potential Windows Update Database error detected 0x80070490" "Possible issues may prevent Windows Update from keeping your system up to date."

    The "Repair Windows Update Database Corruption" action was completed and the issue was fixed.

    Also, I had another issue that "Windows Update components must be repaired" "One or more Windows Update components are configured incorrectly." --> This was also fixed.

    Thanks for letting me know!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments