Windows 8.1 Surface Shuts Down instead of sleep

Anonymous
2013-10-19T07:38:25+00:00

Since upgrading to 8.1 my Surface Pro will reboot when it should have gone into Sleep mode.... not every time, but if the machine has not been used for a while (e.g. over an hour or so). Prior to the upgrade it was very reliable.


For example, this morning the following messages were in my Event Viewer

The previous system shutdown at 20:18:39 on ‎18/‎10/‎2013 was unexpected.

Windows failed to resume from hibernate with error status 0xC0000411.

The message previous to this was...

The system has returned from a low power state.

Sleep Time: ‎2013‎-‎10‎-‎18T18:00:59.127876100Z

Wake Time: ‎2013‎-‎10‎-‎18T19:08:25.476268900Z

Wake Source: Power Button

Sleep mode was entered at 19:01, not mains connected, but battery fully charged (and still charged in the morning).

Any ideas?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-12-04T20:57:55+00:00

    My computer was shutting down unexpectedly when I put it to sleep. I fixed this problem by going to Choose what  the power button does. Then I set it to Shut Downand saved it. Then I pressed the button and the computer shut down. After turning it back on, I went back to Choose what  the power button does and switched it back to Sleep. now it works for me!

    This might have fixed the problem for you and I don't doubt that is a possibility -- but keep in mind that coincidence might also be a possibility here: We've already seen that this problem can be inconsistent at times...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-12-04T21:02:11+00:00

    I'll give anything a try..... before I resort to a Reset! Have just done what you suggest...... and will now wait and see. Thanks for taking the trouble to make the suggestion.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-12-04T21:23:46+00:00

    I'll give anything a try..... before I resort to a Reset! Have just done what you suggest...... and will now wait and see. Thanks for taking the trouble to make the suggestion.

    Just remember -- you aren't the only one with the problem... wiping the computer isn't a guaranteed fix.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-12-09T16:30:28+00:00

    You have no idea how happy I am to find that this problem is being experienced by others.  My first two Surface Pro 2s turned off and randomly never turned back on again.  This one has been better but now I have lost half my work for my final paper that is due today.  (Alas, autosave did not).  Why is this problem not being addressed on one of Microsoft's flagship devices?  Thanks again for posting what you guys are finding, it really helps my morale.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-12-10T02:35:48+00:00

    Besides the minor  Error 137* issue

    many are waiting for a solution power config on this new PC (August 2013) has never worked right under   W/8.1, and while I had Fast Boot disabled, as well as hybrid sleep,  and hibernate enabled, going into the latter results in

    Windows failed to resume from hibernate with error status 0xC0000411.

    It also wakes from sleep prematurely even though the power on is disabled under Network adapter, and timers as well. 

    Everything looks fine in Device Manager, and it has latest drivers I know of, and  W/8.1 updates.

    *The system firmware has changed the processor's memory type range registers (MTRRs) across a sleep state transition (S4). This can result in reduced resume performance.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments