Windows 8.1 Surface Shuts Down instead of sleep

Anonymous
2013-10-19T07:38:25+00:00

Since upgrading to 8.1 my Surface Pro will reboot when it should have gone into Sleep mode.... not every time, but if the machine has not been used for a while (e.g. over an hour or so). Prior to the upgrade it was very reliable.


For example, this morning the following messages were in my Event Viewer

The previous system shutdown at 20:18:39 on ‎18/‎10/‎2013 was unexpected.

Windows failed to resume from hibernate with error status 0xC0000411.

The message previous to this was...

The system has returned from a low power state.

Sleep Time: ‎2013‎-‎10‎-‎18T18:00:59.127876100Z

Wake Time: ‎2013‎-‎10‎-‎18T19:08:25.476268900Z

Wake Source: Power Button

Sleep mode was entered at 19:01, not mains connected, but battery fully charged (and still charged in the morning).

Any ideas?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-12-04T07:35:53+00:00

    I have had the same issue since updating to Win8.1 on my Surface Pro. Prior to the update hibernation and resume from hibernation was flawless. Now if I hibernate manually or the device transitions from sleep to hibernation, then resume from hibernation will fail with error 0xC0000411 (System event log via eventvwr.msc).

    I have Hyper-V enabled (so I can do development work with VS 2013 and Windows Phone), however resume from hibernation fails even if I disable Hyper-V. I also have Office 2013 installed, as well as Paint.Net, Adobe Reader, Visio 2013 and Media Center.

    I have tried to disable and re-enable hibernation, change the size of the hibernation file and hibernate without the type cover attached; but no success. The power troubleshooter did not help at all. I also ran a memory scan with mdsched.exe and all looks fine.

    Now, when using my Surface Pro I always have to shut it down explicitly to avoid losing data. This bug really has made what was a great device crappy to use. I really hope someone at Microsoft will listen, investigate and figure out what is going on here.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-12-03T10:13:55+00:00

    Ooh, I have never had that problem (yet!), but I wonder if this is related. If you have any more experiments in this area would be good to know and share. Wonder if this might indicate a hardware problem (if so in the Surface or the keyboard?) or a software issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-12-03T10:03:39+00:00

    That is interesting.  I typically use Word, so I have the keyboard plugged in pretty much all the time, but I did notice last night that when I stood up from the couch and accidently unplugged then replugged the keyboard it caused the system to reset.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-12-03T09:53:15+00:00

    I am still suffering with this problem too. I read on another thread that checking/unchecking the options in Power Options (Choose what the power button does, Change settings that are currently unavailable then change the settings at the bottom) had an effect for some, so maybe worth trying. Mine were originally set with Sleep and Restart checked and Hibernate unchecked. I now have all three checked.

    However, this did not work for me so I contacted Microsoft support by chat. They said that I should try to do a Refresh or a Reset. Since this would mean for a Refresh I would need to reinstall all my applications, and for a Reset all applications and files, neither are steps that I would want to rush into. If the problem till remained, then it would be a hardware fault.

    However, quite by coincidence, I have recently been working without my keyboard attached, and for four days had no problems. Yesterday I attached the keyboard and PROBLEM. So, I am now trying without the keyboard again. It would be really interesting to know if you have the same.

    (I have had problems in the past when using my keyboard that it hangs and I have to detach and reattach. Apparently this also maybe a hardware problem with the keyboard..... possibly the root cause?)

    Please let me know how you get on.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-12-03T09:30:18+00:00

    Also, I have all updates installed as of 12/3/2013.  I have a Surface Pro 2 512.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments