Mmmmm, I think there are some problems in this area. I have just been changing the settings for turning off display, sleep and hibernate and never gets past turning the screen off. Not good for battery life. Do post back if you discover anything.
Windows 8.1 Surface Shuts Down instead of sleep
Since upgrading to 8.1 my Surface Pro will reboot when it should have gone into Sleep mode.... not every time, but if the machine has not been used for a while (e.g. over an hour or so). Prior to the upgrade it was very reliable.
For example, this morning the following messages were in my Event Viewer
The previous system shutdown at 20:18:39 on 18/10/2013 was unexpected.
Windows failed to resume from hibernate with error status 0xC0000411.
The message previous to this was...
The system has returned from a low power state.
Sleep Time: 2013-10-18T18:00:59.127876100Z
Wake Time: 2013-10-18T19:08:25.476268900Z
Wake Source: Power Button
Sleep mode was entered at 19:01, not mains connected, but battery fully charged (and still charged in the morning).
Any ideas?
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Install and upgrade
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
48 answers
Sort by: Newest
-
Anonymous
2013-12-04T19:28:06+00:00 -
Anonymous
2013-12-04T16:44:24+00:00 Hah! Just after I tell you to check to see if you got the update, it happened to me again! I have my power button set to hibernate. When I pressed the hibernate button, the screen faded to black as normal... And then the computer suddenly started to boot again with the event log that the previous shutdown was unexpected (the hibernate failed and my computer did a hard-restart).
My hibernation has been working fine for over a month, but suddenly it's failing again? I have had no windows updates, other than windows defender definitions, since Nov. 16. :(
Looks like they may have not completely fixed this problem with the 2013-10-05 update, since it's still happening. Before the 2013-10-05 update, the problem was happening consistently, every time I hibernated... now it seems to be rare, but still occurring...
-
Anonymous
2013-12-04T14:42:09+00:00 Thanks Squirty33, but this update has been applied (cancelled first time, then successful straight afterwards).
I found another thread that said to try this:-
Have you altered the wireless network card in Device Manager to not allow the computer to put the device to sleep to save power via the Power Management tab on the card? I had inadvertently done this and it caused my Surface Pro to not wake properly.
To clarify for anyone else running into this:
- Open Device Manager from the Control Panel or however you normally open it
- Expand Network Adapters and double click Marvell Avastar 350N
- Choose the Power Management tab and make sure the checkbox is checked for Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power
But this was already set for me. The keyboard thing must be a red herring as today I got the same problem without a keyboard attached. Having trawled through the event logs for when the sleep, hibernate, restore is successful vs when it isn't, I have noticed that when it isn't I get an Error 8033
The browser has forced an election on network ......
because a master browser was stopped
No idea if this is relevant????
-
Anonymous
2013-12-04T14:22:30+00:00 Hey guys, again, I had the exact same hibernation problem and installing the "System Hardware Update - 2013-10-05" in Windows Update fixed the problem for me.
I needed to do a manual check for updates in Windows Update to get this to show up. Try checking your installed windows updates to see if you already ahve this update...
-
Anonymous
2013-12-04T07:55:56+00:00