Windows 8.1 Surface Shuts Down instead of sleep

Anonymous
2013-10-19T07:38:25+00:00

Since upgrading to 8.1 my Surface Pro will reboot when it should have gone into Sleep mode.... not every time, but if the machine has not been used for a while (e.g. over an hour or so). Prior to the upgrade it was very reliable.


For example, this morning the following messages were in my Event Viewer

The previous system shutdown at 20:18:39 on ‎18/‎10/‎2013 was unexpected.

Windows failed to resume from hibernate with error status 0xC0000411.

The message previous to this was...

The system has returned from a low power state.

Sleep Time: ‎2013‎-‎10‎-‎18T18:00:59.127876100Z

Wake Time: ‎2013‎-‎10‎-‎18T19:08:25.476268900Z

Wake Source: Power Button

Sleep mode was entered at 19:01, not mains connected, but battery fully charged (and still charged in the morning).

Any ideas?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-04-25T03:55:01+00:00

    Downgrade to windows 7 or buy the apple computer.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-03-20T17:45:17+00:00

    Thank you for posting your experiences.  I'm glad I'm not the only one with this issue.  It took me a while to figure out my Surface Pro was actually restarting and not just automatically shutting down programs due to "low memory".  It became apparent as I started using the Surface Pro for more applications.  

    I went through the entire thread and tried everything.  Nothing seems to help resolve the issue.  All updates seem to be applied (checked after running troubleshooter).  

    It would be nice to get a comment by Microsoft on whether this bug is acknowledged to exist and whether they are working on resolving the matter.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-02-18T08:50:25+00:00

    Hi Shane,

    Let’s try the following steps:

    a. Press "Windows Key + X" key on the keyboard and select “Command prompt (Admin)”.

    b. In the command line, type in "powercfg.exe /hibernate off".

    c. Restart the computer and check if it helps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-02-17T17:20:26+00:00

    I am sad to report the issue has returned...  My Surface is crashing again with the same 0xC0000411 code, and it started after I applied this latest round of patches...  Now I am back to square one..

    I have seen this issue reported on numerous news groups, so I was wondering if MSFT is working on a fix for this issue...  Any news about an update to fix this issue once and for all would be great...  At this point, I would settle for an explanation as to why so many devices are affected, and what is the root cause... Anything...

    Thanks

    Shane

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-02-01T06:11:18+00:00

    Hi,

    Thank you for sharing the resolution with us which will help others facing the same problems to fix it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments