Windows 8.1 Surface Shuts Down instead of sleep

Anonymous
2013-10-19T07:38:25+00:00

Since upgrading to 8.1 my Surface Pro will reboot when it should have gone into Sleep mode.... not every time, but if the machine has not been used for a while (e.g. over an hour or so). Prior to the upgrade it was very reliable.


For example, this morning the following messages were in my Event Viewer

The previous system shutdown at 20:18:39 on ‎18/‎10/‎2013 was unexpected.

Windows failed to resume from hibernate with error status 0xC0000411.

The message previous to this was...

The system has returned from a low power state.

Sleep Time: ‎2013‎-‎10‎-‎18T18:00:59.127876100Z

Wake Time: ‎2013‎-‎10‎-‎18T19:08:25.476268900Z

Wake Source: Power Button

Sleep mode was entered at 19:01, not mains connected, but battery fully charged (and still charged in the morning).

Any ideas?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-12-03T09:53:15+00:00

    I am still suffering with this problem too. I read on another thread that checking/unchecking the options in Power Options (Choose what the power button does, Change settings that are currently unavailable then change the settings at the bottom) had an effect for some, so maybe worth trying. Mine were originally set with Sleep and Restart checked and Hibernate unchecked. I now have all three checked.

    However, this did not work for me so I contacted Microsoft support by chat. They said that I should try to do a Refresh or a Reset. Since this would mean for a Refresh I would need to reinstall all my applications, and for a Reset all applications and files, neither are steps that I would want to rush into. If the problem till remained, then it would be a hardware fault.

    However, quite by coincidence, I have recently been working without my keyboard attached, and for four days had no problems. Yesterday I attached the keyboard and PROBLEM. So, I am now trying without the keyboard again. It would be really interesting to know if you have the same.

    (I have had problems in the past when using my keyboard that it hangs and I have to detach and reattach. Apparently this also maybe a hardware problem with the keyboard..... possibly the root cause?)

    Please let me know how you get on.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-12-03T09:30:18+00:00

    Also, I have all updates installed as of 12/3/2013.  I have a Surface Pro 2 512.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-11-09T04:34:02+00:00

    You're welcome, that's what these forums are all about! :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-11-08T10:59:03+00:00

    Hi,

    Thank you for sharing the resolution with us which will help others facing the same problems to fix it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-11-08T02:02:21+00:00

    Unfortunately this has started to happen again, and this time the troubleshooting is not coming up with anything. So annoying as it means if I leave apps open ready to start back on them again, they have all gone next time I start the machine up. Back to the drawing board!

    The instructions for safe mode cannot be followed - "General" does not exist on PC Settings menu.

    I have looked at the event log for this morning and it had an entry

    Windows failed to resume from hibernate with error status 0xC0000411.

    Shortly followed by

    The previous system shutdown at 22:59:28 on ‎30/‎10/‎2013 was unexpected.

    The settings are set to Sleep on lid close and power button, both on plugged and battery. Then set to Hibernate after 60 mins battery and 180 mins plugged in. Last night the lid was closed and left on power.

    I have this problem as well:

    Surface Pro, used to work fine with Windows 8. Updated to Windows 8.1, now every time I hibernate I get the following error in my system log:

    Windows failed to resume from hibernate with error status 0xC0000411.

    Please let me know if you need any other information to resolve the issue...


    This problem I had with error status 0xC0000411 was resolved by installing the "System Hardware Update - 2013-10-05" in Windows Update. Yay! Hibernate is now working for me again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments