MicroSoft .Net FrameWork Updates ALL FAIL With Error 13ED - Error Not listed & No posted answers worked!

Anonymous
2014-06-19T20:02:18+00:00

For ALL of you that replied. Please remove your posts for clarity.

PA Bear MS MVP          17 posts + 2 more after being Asked to Stop Posting!!!!! This is Abuse!

Shalini Sampath Kumar  10 posts

CLE_Maximus                  3 posts

WayfinderWishbringer     3 posts

Ken Blake                        1 post

Rohit Siddegowda           1 post

That should reduce 5 pages to 1 with about 3 posts

The following is just 1 session of 100's of Update sessions with the Same Error Code: 13ED

For the Same Few (about 8) .Net FrameWork Update KB identifiers.  Since these are mostly

IMPORTANT SECURITY Related; MicroSoft & I would like to have this issue solved.

Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 on ..., Windows 7, ... x64 (KB2931365)

Installation date: 05/13/2014 5:38 PM

Installation status: Failed

Error details: Code 13ED

Update type: Important

More information:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2931365

Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 on ..., Windows 7, ... for x64 (KB2898855)

Installation date: 05/13/2014 5:39 PM

Installation status: Failed

Error details: Code 13ED

Update type: Important

More information:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2898855

Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1 on Windows 7 ...  for x64-based Systems (KB2931356)

Installation date: 05/13/2014 5:40 PM

Installation status: Successful

Update type: Important

More information:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2931356

Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 on ..., Windows 7, ... for x64 (KB2901110)

Installation date: 05/13/2014 5:40 PM

Installation status: Failed

Error details: Code 13ED

Update type: Important

More information:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2901110

Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 on ..., Windows 7, ... for x64 (KB2931365)

Installation date: 05/13/2014 6:47 PM

Installation status: Failed

Error details: Code 13ED

Update type: Important

More information:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2931365

Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 on ..., Windows 7, ... for x64 (KB2898855)

Installation date: 05/13/2014 6:47 PM

Installation status: Failed

Error details: Code 13ED

Update type: Important

More information:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2898855

Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 on ..., Windows 7, ... for x64 (KB2901110)

Installation date: 05/13/2014 6:47 PM

Installation status: Failed

Error details: Code 13ED

Update type: Important

More information:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2901110

This error has occurred nearly EVERY TIME since Feb of 2012. I spent 2 weeks & paid $107.00 to MicroSoft Support have the problem solved.

I never got a viable solution. Microsoft Technical Support required I reinstall Windows for each update!  Never Got any Technical Support Person to identify the error code 13ED.

Problem that I have has the following IMPORTANT SPECIFIC BeHavior SYMPTOMS:

ALL & ONLY these behavior SYMPTOMS MUST BE OBSERVED otherwise you probably have some other problem. Else Wise the Work Around to MicroSoft's Long Standing Bug(s) may not apply.

    1.) Update Fails on the Same Update EVERY time with the SAME Error.

    2.) All Other Update succeed or fail with an errors different from 1.)

    3.) You or someone has modified the System Environment variables. Potentially Some System Administration or SoftWare Development Installers may have modified these variables.

For ALL those who "replied" / commented to this Thread the following problems

DO NOT EXIST:

    1.) Low Disk Space.

    2.) NetWork or "Communications" Errors.

    3.) Registry Errors.

    4.) Viruses, MalWare, or SpyWare.

This is based on long standing SoftWare Engineering practices & skills (a subset of the Scientific Methodology for which I was originally educated & worked in): using basic observation skills, rational thought, & critical thinking.

When I 1st posted this problem on Answers.MicroSoft.Com I was Ignorant & Naive about help & support facilities. When I couldn't find ANY Help on Support.MicroSoft.Com, that site references to Answers.MicroSoft.Com as a LAST Resort. After more than 2 YEARS of trying to find any solution to the problem, I was finally been given a "Work Around" to MicroSoft's Long Standing Error (Bug).

This Work Around to MicroSoft's Errors & Bugs applies only to SoftWare Developers & System Administrators &/or have modified system environmental variables.

If you are NOT a SoftWare Developer or System Administrator & have NOT changed the a fore mentioned variables then DO NOT attempt to modify these variables. This Work Around my not solve the problem for UpDate Error other than 13ED.

Work Around to MicroSoft's Errors & Bugs: Revert the Environment Variables "temp" & "tmp" (& possibly other variables) to the "System Default" values when using UpDate.

I can only verify that I changed these environment variables back to what my Windows 7 system uses as the default. All Updates that Failed with Error Code 13ED succeeded.

I have set these variables to in order to comply with my development tools requirements.

Again the Work Around is to set these (& possibly others) variables to match the development or administrative requirements while engaging in those activities. Revert these & possibly all other modified environmental variable back to the OS systems default values when using Update.

For EVERY ONE ELSE:

 1.) Insure that @ least 2 Gigi-Bytes of Free Spaces exists on the Largest Active Local Disk Storage Device (Update finds the largest free space device). Free Space Value is Hearsay (I can't verify this).

 2.) Eliminate All possibility of Anti-Virus/Mal-Ware/Spy-Ware Software from intercepting MicroSoft UpDates.

 3.) Eliminate Internet Connection time out Errors which the cause: Error 0x800???. All other "Communications" Errors would cause other system error symptoms.

Software for the MicroSoft OS's should be written to comply with MicroSoft's Software GuideLines. Doing so eliminates many errors, bugs & other problems. Not following MicroSoft's Software GuideLines results in Error & bugs such as found in UpDate. That is to say; MicroSoft Does Not Follow their Own Guide-Lines to their own peril .

There is ONLY ONE POSSIBLE CAUSE for this Consistent, Predictable, & Reproducible Error Each & Every Time &  that  is that the SOURCE FILES FOR THESE UPDATES ARE INCOMPATIBLE WITH MicroSoft's OWN UPDATE/INSTALLER FOR WINDOWS 7 & 8.  Only Possible Cause is MicroSoft Errors.

Still having the Same Windows Update Error 13ED for ONLY the Windows .Net FrameWork Updates.

What is Error 13ED?

What is causing Error 13ED?

1st occurrence of Error: 12.02.14 - The Day I got this computer. On the 1st Update session.

1st time I posted these question on answers.MicroSoft.Com; 14.06.19

MicroSoft: You REALLY KNOW how to Frustrate & Anger Your Customers!

No wonder PC/MicroSoft Products are NOT SELLING!

Only POSSIBLE conclusion: MicroSoft Errors!  NOT USER ERRORS!

Now I am more convinced than EVER than this WebSite & the VERY Concept is a DisService to ALL users of MicroSoft Products. NONE of the Suggestions ("Reply"'s) I received were constructive. ALL were Destructive, MisLeading, Ignorant, & Naive & therefore: Completely Contra-Productive.

Windows UpDate Errors (Long List & 1st choice for Search! So Update Fails Often!)

No Registry Errors:

0x80240012 WU_E_REG_VALUE_INVALID An invalid registry value was read.

No Certification, Licencing Errors:

0x8024001A WU_E_POLICY_NOT_SET A policy value was not set.

0x80240029 WU_E_INVALID_PRODUCT_LICENSE Search may have missed some updates before there is an unlicensed application on the system.

0x80240033 WU_E_EULA_UNAVAILABLE License terms could not be downloaded.

0x80240042 WU_E_UNKNOWN_SERVICE The update service is no longer registered with AU.

No Communications Errors:

0x8024001F WU_E_NO_CONNECTION Operation did not complete because the network connection was unavailable.

0x80240021 WU_E_TIME_OUT Operation did not complete because it timed out.

0x80240034 WU_E_DOWNLOAD_FAILED Update failed to download.

0x80240038 WU_E_WINHTTP_INVALID_FILE The downloaded file has an unexpected content type.

No NetWork Errors:

0x80240025 WU_E_USER_ACCESS_DISABLED Group Policy settings prevented access to Windows Update.

No File Errors (corruption, etc):

0x80240031 WU_E_INVALID_FILE The file is in the wrong format.

No Protocol Talker Errors: 0x80244nnn

Note ALL Errors 0x0x8024nnnn: NONE of Which I Ever Have Reported.

ThereFore!: No Registry, Certification, Communications, NetWork, File, or Protocol Errors.

ThereFore: All posts that assume the Error Codes 0x80nnnnnn are considered off Topic & Abuse!

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

183 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  2. Anonymous
    2015-02-09T17:01:01+00:00

    Return-Path: <MicrosoftAnswers@microsoft.com>

    Received: from vmx1.cruzio.com (vmx1.cruzio.com [63.249.92.95])

         by icogitate.com with ESMTP id t19DBeq9068753

         for <<John S. Kent>>; Mon, 9 Feb 2015 05:11:40 -0800 (PST)

    Received: from smtpi.msn.com (co1gmehub04.msn.com [65.55.52.232])

         by vmx1.cruzio.com with ESMTP id t19DBl56022500

         for <<John S. Kent>>; Mon, 9 Feb 2015 05:11:48 -0800

    DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=microsoft.com;

         s=s1024; t=1423487493; h=From:Sender:Subject:Date:Message-ID:To

         :MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; bh=BG+W7cf+HfakSh+r

         xPwbfLFar9OOUXMvQ3KjKy+8dMc=; b=TQHnBKnS8AYA8+Kj6JWfXy+UOCDP1dx/VxfoxS4yt

         MmZKFaP2nIe0dekd5uuyPaVHCo9zqkUxibOENmMbawqdTwY0VDux9WDKV9Opx++BZ2W3PD05w

         yqrop1yo7o03qGOntR89NImRNmqhknTUHo2YlNT/zmFDY1zUVP7sYlwLA=;

    MIME-Version: 1.0

    Sender: Microsoft Community <MicrosoftAnswers@microsoft.com>

    From: Microsoft Community <MicrosoftAnswers@microsoft.com>

    To: <<John S. Kent>>

    Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2015 05:11:32 -0800

    Subject: Question has reply: MicroSoft .Net FrameWork Updates ALL FAIL With

         Error 13ED - Error Not listed & No posted answers worked!

    Content-Type: text/html; charset="us-ascii"

    Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

    Message-ID: <******@CO1MSSCPSLWB015.phx.gbl>

    X-OriginalArrivalTime: 09 Feb 2015 13:11:32.0909 (UTC) FILETIME=[ECD08DD0:01D04469]

    X-DKIM-Signer: DkimX (v1.11.111)

    X-Spam-Flag: YES

    X-Spam-Level: **

    X-Spam-Status: Yes, score=2.21 tests=HTML_MESSAGE,MIME_HTML_ONLY,T_DKIM_INVALID

    X-Spam-Report: 0.0 HTML_MESSAGE BODY: HTML included in message 2.2 MIME_HTML_ONLY BODY: Message only has text/html MIME parts 0.0 T_DKIM_INVALID DKIM-Signature header exists but is not valid

    X-Scanned-By: MIMEDefang 2.71 on 63.249.92.95

    Hello John S.Kent,

    Your question on Microsoft Community has received a reply from SebGiuly.

    Title: MicroSoft .Net FrameWork Updates ALL FAIL With Error 13ED - Error Not listed & No posted answers worked!

    Reply

    Hello.

    I am a Japanese, I cannot explain it in detail.

    I faced the same problem, too.

    I was recovered if I made the position of the TEMP file of the environment variable a default

    =============================================================

    お会いできてうれしい。あなたはGoogle翻訳を試みる場合があり、言葉の壁や他の翻訳者を克服するために。

    あなたは "TEMP"& "TMP"のために私にあなたの環境の内容を送信することができます。

    あなたのソリューションは、確かにシンプルでエレガントな答えかもしれません。 Microsoftは、オペレーティングシステムの追跡のために書かれているすべてのソフトウェアを主張するガイド線を持っています。環境変数はよくそれらのガイドラインに記載されています。マイクロソフトはなく、他の部分で、/アップデートをインストールプロセスの一部で、そのガイド線(ソフトウェアコンポーネント)を以下の通りです。それは自己だとように、Microsoftのソフトウェアは競合している!これは、Microsoftのインストール理由/更新プロセスが失敗している。これはこれはまだMicrosoftエラーであるユーザーエラーではありません。すべてのユーザーがこの&同様のエラーに文句はありません理由を説明。唯一のソフトウェアエンジニアは、これらの変数を変更する必要があります。だから、唯一の相対的少数(数千人のプログラマーの何百もの)ではなく、多くの(単位:百万毎日のユーザーの何百もの)エラーを報告。

    So glad to meet you. To overcome the language barrier you might try Google Translate or some other translator.

    Could you send me your environment contents for "temp" & "tmp".

    Your Work-Around may indeed be the simple elegant solution. MicroSoft has programming guide lines that they insist ALL software that is written for their Operating System follow. The environment variables are well documented in the MicroSoft PROGRAMMING GUIDE LINES.  MicroSoft is following their guide lines in some parts (software components) of the install/update process, but NOT IN OTHER PARTS.  So MicroSoft's software is in conflict with it's self!  This is why MicroSoft's Install/Update process Fails with Error 13ED (& probably several other error codes).  This is NOT a USER Error this is a MicroSoft ERROR. This explains why ALL users don't complain about this & similar errors.  Only Software Engineers NEED to modify these variables to conform to various development packages & tools.  So only a relative few (Hundreds of Thousands programmers) rather than many (Hundreds of Millions everyday users) report the error.

    Software Developers: Work Around is to revert the environment variables "temp" & "tmp" to the system defaults while not doing development work. Probably safer is revert ALL environment variables modified to do development back to "system default values".  There are numerous other system areas that do have bug producing problems when modified. Being aware of MicroSoft's Bugs & Error further complicates software development, since how do you separate your code problems & bugs from MicroSoft's Bugs, Errors, & behavior incompatibles?

    Note: Received from "SebGiuly" which mysteriously appeared 15.02.09 & disappeared (A.User; InActive Account) 15.02.10. I am highly suspect that a MicroSoft employee created "SebGiuly" to send the answer to this thread.  I strongly suspect that MicroSoft has known the EXACT nature of the problem since @ least before 12.02.12  Why does MicroSoft NOT want to make this trivial software fix?  I can do it in 20 minutes if I had access to the source files.  MicroSoft Software Engineers appear to be COMPLETELY INCOMPETENT (or is it the Managers & the Billion $ Boys Club that is the problem?).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-02-09T16:46:53+00:00

    Why are you so concerned about this update? Is it not enabling you to perform certain functions?

    Also, bashing MicroSoft is only making it MicroHard for yourself. (Biting the hand that helps you type deal)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-02-09T13:03:01+00:00

    Hello.

    I am a Japanese, I cannot explain it in detail.

    I faced the same problem, too.

    I was recovered if I made the position of the TEMP file of the environment variable a default

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more