Everything is too small -- windows 8.1 not allow me to enlarge entire interface?

Anonymous
2013-11-28T03:29:25+00:00

I'm on a Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro and the entire interface--every app, every dialogue box, every icon, etc--is too small on this high resolution (3200x1800) screen.  The size of the mouse pointer was the only thing I could increase to an adequate size.

In Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization\Display I've specified EXTRA LARGE (200%) for all items. 

It's still too small.

Is it possible that Windows (I have 8.1) isn't keeping up with screen resolutions and I need to just wait for a Windows update?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Accessibility

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-01-29T05:10:51+00:00

    Also - I have been on with MS Support, and they literally made up an answer. They told me that it was because the Yoga 2 uses Windows 8.1, not Windows 8 and that everything was smaller because of this. He encouraged me to uninstall the whole operating system and buy Windows 8. I like Windows 8 a lot, but their support is atrocious. I can't imagine that Microsoft would have such unskilled, untrained employees helping consumers purchasing high end laptops.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-01-30T02:27:25+00:00

    How will this be fixed?

    Hello! what I did to make mine readable was configuring resolution to 1080 x 1920 and on the scaling options set it to 125%

    This is not actually a fix as the idea is to be able to read windows at full resolution. But at least you'll be able to read the toolbars and menus.

    Hope this helps ;)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-04-15T01:09:55+00:00

    I have a Yoga 2 13" as well with the same problem, it especially bad with going through the remote desktop application.  This makes the whole reason for getting this machine useless.  We bought this for the options that it gave us however most of those options are not even view-able.  I hope there is a quick fix for this coming.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-08-08T22:15:00+00:00

    I just bought the Yoga 2 Pro today and I noticed this problem immediately! I'm a bit disappointed as I'm a college student who wanted to splurge on a high-end computer for my school and home use. The first thing I did was download Spotify and Origin, and I can barely see the apps themselves. It almost makes me want to return it to the store, and I've only had it for 2 hours. I don't want to spend my savings on a computer that has to be watered-down in order to work properly.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-08-08T22:17:00+00:00

    This isn't a driver issue... Microsoft failed to realize that people would be using 13" monitors with 3200 resolution, so they didn't design their flagship operating system to accommodate it.

    I'm using the same laptop with the same problem.  The scaling slider works fine, it just needs to go beyond 200%.  Oh, and while you're fixing that, you might want to make cleartype scale beyond 125% so that text doesn't get all pixelated.

    This seems so obvious... when is microsoft going to address it?

    Here is an example of how small all my desktop apps are at 200%. I included text from this website as a size reference. On a 1080 screen, this app would be twice the size and completely usable.

    I had the same exact problem when I downloaded Origin! I'm a hardcore Sims player and was about to install my games, but I could barely see enough to log into my account!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments