Everything is too small -- windows 8.1 not allow me to enlarge entire interface?

Anonymous
2013-11-28T03:29:25+00:00

I'm on a Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro and the entire interface--every app, every dialogue box, every icon, etc--is too small on this high resolution (3200x1800) screen.  The size of the mouse pointer was the only thing I could increase to an adequate size.

In Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization\Display I've specified EXTRA LARGE (200%) for all items. 

It's still too small.

Is it possible that Windows (I have 8.1) isn't keeping up with screen resolutions and I need to just wait for a Windows update?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Accessibility

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-11-28T19:11:44+00:00

    Hi,

    1.    Do you get any error message when you try to change the font size on the computer?

    2.    Have you made any recent hardware or software changes to the computer prior to the issue?

    You might be facing this issue because of an outdated or corrupted display card drivers. I suggest you to install the latest display drivers and check if it helps.

    Method 1:

    Step 1: uninstall the display drivers.

    a.       Press Windows + X, Click Device Manager.

    b.      Expand Display Adapters.

    c.       Check if the name of the graphic card is the list.

    d.      Right click on the Display Adapter’s name and click uninstall.

    e.       Once you uninstall the drivers it will prompt to restart the computer, do not restart the computer.

    f.        It will take default drivers in the computer.

    Step 2: Reinstall the drivers.

    Please download the drivers from the computer Manufacturer’s website and reinstall the drivers.

    Method 2:

    After installing the latest display drivers, I suggest you to refer to the following Microsoft articles to change the font size on the computer.

    Make the text on your screen larger or smaller****

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/make-screen-text-larger-smaller#make-screen-text-larger-smaller=windows-8

    Internet Explorer Ease of Access options****

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/ie-accessibilty-options#ie=ie-11

    Hope this helps.

    Please post back with the status of the issue and we will be glad to assist you further.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-01-02T19:37:37+00:00

    I have the same issue on the same computer. Everything feels much too small when I am using the desktop.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-01-03T08:00:40+00:00

    This isn't a driver issue... Microsoft failed to realize that people would be using 13" monitors with 3200 resolution, so they didn't design their flagship operating system to accommodate it.

    I'm using the same laptop with the same problem.  The scaling slider works fine, it just needs to go beyond 200%.  Oh, and while you're fixing that, you might want to make cleartype scale beyond 125% so that text doesn't get all pixelated.

    This seems so obvious... when is microsoft going to address it?

    Here is an example of how small all my desktop apps are at 200%. I included text from this website as a size reference. On a 1080 screen, this app would be twice the size and completely usable.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-01-22T16:27:57+00:00

    I have the same issue on the same computer. Everything feels much too small when I am using the desktop.

    I also have a yoga 2 pro and having this problem. As MSabot15 says, I understand this is a Microsoft misconfiguration and they should fix it in future (please not in a long time! this is an expensive computer and it is a really anoying issue)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-01-29T05:06:08+00:00

    I am having the same issue and it's a HUGE problem! Things are nearly impossible to see. I bought my employee an HP laptop, also 13.3", and her normal appearance of the main screen, icons, toolbars, etc. is probably 30% larger than mine! I'm so jealous. How will this be fixed?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments