Everything is too small -- windows 8.1 not allow me to enlarge entire interface?

Anonymous
2013-11-28T03:29:25+00:00

I'm on a Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro and the entire interface--every app, every dialogue box, every icon, etc--is too small on this high resolution (3200x1800) screen.  The size of the mouse pointer was the only thing I could increase to an adequate size.

In Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization\Display I've specified EXTRA LARGE (200%) for all items. 

It's still too small.

Is it possible that Windows (I have 8.1) isn't keeping up with screen resolutions and I need to just wait for a Windows update?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Accessibility

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-07-31T06:42:06+00:00

    I am using Windows 8.1 on my Mac through Bootcamp partition. I updated the display driver and also other drivers but the display in remote machine is very small and in Citrix it is distorted as well.

    Can you please help.

    Looks like this is not related to drivers.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-07-26T03:03:06+00:00

    These problems are caused by DPI unaware apps. Windows is not to blame. DPI unaware apps look blurry and ugly even on Mac and Linux. It's the common reason. Stop using old DPI unaware apps and use new DPI aware apps. It's the only solution. Most apps in XP era are DPI unaware.

    But some apps made by MS are still DPI unaware. Skype and MMC. MS should make them DPI aware.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. @CmdrKeene 90,631 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2015-06-17T17:34:11+00:00

    Same. But remote desktop is a special case because the dpi and resolution and other options on the other remote computer matter too.

    So if things are too small once connecting, just set your display tab first before you connect with the rdp program.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-06-17T17:26:29+00:00

    Hi Shawn.

    You're talking about apps, but what about something that is native in WIndows like "Remote Desktop"? When I got connect, it looks so small.

    Best regards

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. @CmdrKeene 90,631 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2015-05-31T01:06:44+00:00

    There's nothing Microsoft can do to "solve this".  You’ve seen this if you’ve ever owned a Retina iPad or iPhone and you had to 2x scale an app to make it fill the screen, resulting in a slightly-blurry app. At least until the app developers released high-res versions.

    Until whatever company built that program re-builds it using larger icons and visuals, you'll continue seeing the small size.  Microsoft can't fix it for them without making it blurry by enlarging it, and you can do that if you want with the scale options, but Microsoft can't rebuild everyone else's apps for them.  If all they have is small graphics and fonts, then they need to update their program just like all the iPhone apps did.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments